1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Virus Warning- avoid rockabillybass.com, other sites??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You should note that I've never passed on a virus warning before, but this is one that grab you rather easily. If you are not running MS Outlook Express, you may have nothing to worry about -- but that program is automatically installed in most Windows applications, so caution is advised.

I may be preaching to the choir in some of these warnings, but it is important.

This virus can compromise web sites -- (fellow bassists) avoid Rockabillybass.com for the time being - I visited and the virus was blocked from downloading by my Norton Antivirus system -- but only because I updated the signature files this morning. It's fairly certain than many other sites have been attacked and are unknowingly attempting to distribute .EML files. If a site unexpectedly prompts you to download a file, refuse it.

As always, never open email attachments, even from familiar sources, unless you have confirmed with the sender that it is legit.

If you aren't running a virus program set to monitor all activity, you should be. And if it hasn't been updated in the last 24 hours (or less!), I'd update it immediately.

There is a description of the worm at-
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html
    It will infiltrate a network if one machine receives it.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The webmaster reported and I verified it is ok now. But other sites.... ??

3. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    i don't know about sites but my school's system was hit with the MINDA virus and crashed our whole system, bummer