Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VIRUS WARNING:Please Read!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    In case some have not heard of this by now there is a new virus threat that requires you to do nothing! It can get into your computer by viewing any weg page that has pictures or an e-mail that contains a picture.

I found out about it from the MIMF forums. I got an e-mail from them saying this:
    Read more here:
    http://handlers.dshield.org/jullrich/wmffaq.html
    http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer/archive/2006/01/03/39684.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912840.mspx

Read everything first and if you want it, there is a patch available now.

Here is a link to the patch:http://handlers.sans.org/tliston/wmffix_hexblog14.exe

2. *feels smug and carries on using his virus-free linux computer*

:D

When will people learn to ditch MS

3. Hey there buddy. :D

4. Such is the nature of having an operating system on approximately 95 percent of the market.

When Linux, Mac, and other operating systems begin to gain wider audience, then it shall be seen if those "virus free" machines remain such.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

:smug:

anyway, update your antivirus software asap.

for anyone interested/paranoid enough:

UPDATE:
    Microsoft has tested the following workaround. While this workaround will not correct the underlying vulnerability, it will help block known attack vectors. When a workaround reduces functionality, it is identified in the following section.

Un-register the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (Shimgvw.dll) on Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1

To un-register Shimgvw.dll, follow these steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type "regsvr32 -u %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
    A dialog box appears to confirm that the un-registration process has succeeded. Click OK to close the dialog box.

Impact of Workaround: The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will no longer be started when users click on a link to an image type that is associated with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

To undo this change, re-register Shimgvw.dll by following the above steps. Replace the text in Step 1 with “regsvr32 %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll” (without the quotation marks).

^ not a cure all, and not something I'm going to be doing anyway, but here it is.

7. Yeah, but who really is nerdy enough to program a virus for linux?

And the ones that do will be hated forever from other geeks.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

the point sailed over
    you head like lettuce in a
    stinky tornado.

OTOH, I mught browse with linux until everything is patched. :D

9. There are 7 viruses for linux, all proof-of-concept, all require the user to be stupid enough to actually RUN the virus as the superuser (something you just don't do in linux).

Windows, of course, will allow any monkey to run any old attachment and run system-wide changes unless you specificall tell it otherwise. Linux is, from the ground up, a networked, multi-user operating system; windows' multi-user and networking abilities are an afterthought - and it shows. XP is getting better, but I'd rather not load unnecessary anti-virus software onto my computer, particularly just to keep an inferior (and expensive) OS working when there's a better, free, alternative that does everything I need.

MacOS X is based on FreeBSD and should be inherently secure. Unfortunately in an attempt at user-friendliness, they also disabled some of the security features that go with that, so MacOS may well be succeptible, however I expect mac's market share to decrease over the next few years as the shift to x86 processors puts them in even more direct competition with windows, and of course, linux's increased market share.

There are very good reasons that the majority of web servers run some sort of Unix. :)

10. I suspect the next logical step for Jobs would be to allow users to purchase the Mac operating system and run it on a white box... that's the only way I see his corp. gaining any market share. Considering the Macintels are not too far down the pipe, who knows.

I agree with your last statement though ^_^

11. From what I understand (from reading appropriate websites) is that that is the plan - soon you should be able to buy your new PC with a choice of OS which, I hope, will include Linux :)

12. Agreed! Too many Linux distros though for the casual consumer, IMO.

13. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I recently had to format my PC. We had recently downlaoded the latest version of Kaspersky too, but we had n oway of renewing our license seeing as we downlaoded it, so we bought McAfee, and it hasnt failed yet. I hope this little blighter doesn't get through.

14. Yes, I agree. Perhaps some of the more esoteric will die out. I can see (k)ubuntu doing quite well. As long as slackware hangs around for us geeks... :D

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

OS X is indeed very secure, and I do not believe that would change even if it commanded 90% of the market, though I'm sure there might be vulnerabilities discovered, it'd never reach the ridiculousness that is windows.

The Mac's market share has grown by over a percentage point in the past year(may not seem like a big deal, but all things considered, that's HUGE). It will continue to grow, they are building a lot of momentum and windows/MS is losing a lot. The shift to x86 processors puts it directly competing against windows which, if apple plays their cards right, will allow them to easily demonstrate OS X's superiority to windows. It will also, in theory, make apple computers cheaper and more accessible to the average user.

Now, open-source operating systems might be the future, I think if google were to make a linux based OS, it'd probably steal the market, but hey, that's just baseless speculation. :p

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

As I mentioned before, the mac market-share has already increased substantially in the past year, and every quarter for the past 2 years has been an all-time record setter. It is increasing, has been, and the pace by which it is increasing is accelerating.

That said, Jobs has been very adamant about keeping OS X on apple computers ONLY. Intel is going to be augmenting their chips with a proprietary block to prevent OS X from running on generic PCs. Now, I'm sure hackers will find a way around that, but just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean the consumer base will spring on it. Apple has stated that they will not do anything to prevent someone from installing windows on a mac.

I predict that, with the switch x86 processors, apple computers will come down in price all around the board, while continuing to offer really good price-performance value.

17. That may be the situation if they wish to deviate from their trend of selling their hardware to the more aesthetically conscious crowd.

With that mentioned though, I personally do not mind paying a premium price for a machine that feels like a Ferrari compared to another that feels like a Ford, ya dig?

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    [​IMG]

19. Presumably ONLY OS X will be blocked? :eek:??!

I guess it would have to be...any sort of "agreement" between Intel and Microsoft to block non-MS OS's would be a breach of anti-competition laws right across the US and EU.

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So THAT'S what my math teacher got...