1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Vise Grip" pliers moving to China.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Masher88, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  2. ah, nuts.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I really hope they don't start out-sourcing Reuben sandwiches to China.

4. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    duh, duh, duh, another one bites the dust
    duh, duh, duh, another one bites th....

can anyone say...Capital Gains Tax?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow. I loved Irwin tools up until this. It was nice to know my Vice-Grips were American made. And I really don't know anyone who uses imported versions. People who REALLY use them buy the real deal and last forever. I guess it's the people who buy them for one project and never need them again who buy the cheapies.

I wonder if this will impact sales to contractors and professionals. Are there any other locking pliers made in the states?

Newell-Rubbermaid has screwed up a lot of companies shortly after acquiring them. I hope Irwin doesn't suffer the same fate.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There's no reason for quality to suffer, other than the parent company seeking cost cuts by moving to China.

I do feel sorry for those workers in Nebraska who will now be out of a job.

7. :atoz:

For my daughter's first birthday I got her a set of teeny tiny Vise Grips, because I figured she would need them someday.

8. Hopefully they won't be radioactive like a cheese grater handle found lately.
    Josh

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    craftsman makes quite a few varieties of them; the couple i have are just as quality as "real" vise grips.

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    I prefer Klein Tools.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    The other day our Snap-On guy was showing us some ratchets he had on special. I immediately noticed they felt lighter than a Snap-On ratchet usually does, and USA was not stamped on the ratchet anywhere.

Although the Snappy guy wouldn't admit it, I'm sure they're outsorcing now, right along with Mac tools.

12. This, honestly. Well said.

13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think that would be true in theory (and I wish it was), but the track record of companies moving their stuff to China says otherwise.

14. I'm going to buy one of each size before while they are still American!!

This is blasphemy!! :spit:

I have some Chineese ones on my welding table and they SUCK. I've never used a chinese tool that didn't SUCK. They are good for certain situations like if someone wants to borrow tools :D I have a small chinese drill press and a buffer that work good but they've been rebuilt with American hardware, belts bearings.

15. I feel the same way - but it won't stop me from buying them. It's an international marketplace these days, and I'm way past fighting it.

16. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I live in Omaha which always seems to have a stable economy, but the plant closing in Dewitt might just as well have been a tornado for the devastating effect it's going to have on the town's people, let alone the regional economy. It's the human and social pain that it inflicts, that goes beyond mere arguments about global manufaturing. It's been a sad past week in my state.

17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Chinese tools have come a long way. Not that I would trade any of my Snap-On stuff for them, but in the industrial environment I work in I've found some that hold up really well.

18. ugh. The one issue I actually agree with Obama on is taxing the crap out of companies that move their manufacturing overseas and/or giving huge tax breaks to the companies that don't.

19. I am going to go out and buy a pair in every size. Then I wont have to buy any again in my life. Irwin was always near the top of my list for buying tools because they weren't made in China.

lowsound

20. The chinese cannot produce the quality grades of steels we can for industrial use. They CAN make quality steel but it goes for their defense programs or it's not cost effective. I've been involved with several knife companies that have tried to have product (knives and multitools) produced there. They end up shipping US or Japan made blades and other "quality" steel components to China for injection molding and finishing.