1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Visit to D Lakin Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspraiser, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Greg (GregC) and I were able to spend a couple of hours at D Lakin Basses today. Jauqo IIIX and his friend Jason (another TBer) also stopped by.

I have been wanting to try out Dan's new basses for some time but was not able to due travel etc.

As you can see from the pictures, we were able to try out several basses...both P and J. This is only a portion of the first shipment....he is expecting to place his second order in the next few weeks...

I really was not sure what to expect....I know the quality of Dan's work from Lakland but was not sure if the quality has been maintained....overall I would say Yes.

Before playing any of the basses, Greg and I spent some time going over them and looking for areas where they were "lacking"....We did not see anything that could not/would not be fixed with a minor set up (Which Dan had not done on any of these yet...they came pretty nicely set up from the factory )....the one exception was the "Powder blue" bass which had a couple of chips in the paint near the heel strap lock....this is something Dan is going to get fixed before he sells the bass.

Overall, fit and finish appeared very good.....I was impressed with the quality of the paint jobs on all basses....in addition, the basses were all pretty light.

Speaking of paint, Dan is going to offer his basses in ANY COLOR you want....really!

He has some special colors he will be announcing soon but any bass can be done in any color he has access to or any color you want (with a paint chip supplied).....also, all basses will come with a matching head stock unless natural is requested. Personally, I like the head stock MUCH more painted.

Dan mentioned that his web site will be up in the next few weeks, in addition to standard stuff such as model specs, etc, the site will also include:

1) offering of basses for sale and basses sold
    2) a cool feature where owners can track the history of their basses via pictures and verbiage
    3) A brief history of Dan and his bass building
    4) interviews, videos, and reviews

Regarding reviews, there were some recent links posted to a "preliminary review" by Ed Friedland.... Dan told me Ed was so impressed with the samples that he bought them!

One interesting fact Dan mentioned that all basses will be "signature" basses...in other words, they will be named after artists.....he is speaking to several artists about future basses now.

Right now, there are the passive P and J but he hopes to have an active bass prototyped in the next few months....this will have a J/MM set up and a 2 band pre-amp (to begin with)...This will be available in a 4 string and 5 string version..and MAY be the only 5er in the stable for a while... He is not sure whether the 5er will be 34" scale or 35" scale or an option for either.

Playing the basses was a pleasure...listening to a pro like Jauqo IIIX play was incredible!

Overall, the pickups seemed more aggressive than many other pickups out there....but this does NOT mean there is no bottom end...there definitely was a great low end.....

The strings (either Pyramid Gold flats or Pyramid "Pure" Nickles") added a bit to the sound of the basses for sure...I had never played Pyramids before and was pretty impressed....

The necks were both comfortable to play...although I liked the P width better (my personal opinion)...the back of the necks are oiled/sanded in several steps and felt fast and smooth....it looked like the RW board was oiled as well....

I kind of like the wheel truss rod which is easy to adjust with the multi-tool Dan will provide with each bass purchased. The tool also has a hex wrench built in for adjusting the bridge Which He did when the action on one of the P basses was higher than my liking. I found out the bridge saddles can be adjusted up/down; back/forth; and side to side.

This shipment had all rosewood necks (one with B&B and the rest with nice looking pearloid dots)....he hopes to have some maple necks in the next shipment...I wonder if birds eye maple is a possibility? hmmmm.....guess I can ask!

B&B boards will be an option on both RW and maple fretboards in the future....

The reverse tuners did take a bit of getting used to but this is not a "show stopper" for me....just something to get used to.

There was discussion in another thread about cases/gig bags....so I asked about them....he is trying to narrow the case options down from a few vendors and hopes to have cases/gig bags available soon.

Another question that came up in another thread was a US version....so I asked Dan...as of now, this is not currently in the works.

Do I see a D Lakin bass in my future? most likely....

Now for a few pictures:

DSCN8965.JPG
    DSCN8970.JPG

DSCN8977.JPG

GregC, /\/\3phist0 and harleyman888 like this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That gold P bass looks great.

zacmac likes this.
  3. The Sherwood Green and Sonic Blue basses look great to me.

Matt R likes this.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    what is the neck profile like on the P's? is it fairly chunky or is it wide 'n flat?

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Did you happen to see any packing material while you were there ;)

6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Those p styles look mighty nice.

7. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    not chunky at all....more wide and flat....and comfy

8. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Dan ensured no bass would go out without packing material....he admitted he made a mistake with shipping #001

9. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    nice color for sure....nicer in person

10. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Any other pickguard choices besides white ? Jim

11. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    well...not unless specified ahead of the order and then there MAY be an up charge for some materials like torte (he said "good" torte is expensive) or he may have to see if the plant in Korea can accommodate before committing to a different guard...

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Unlike the body color, you can have any pickguard color, as long as it's white.

tangentmusic likes this.
  13. detoxxx

detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Devon Guitars, Empire Ears, Reunion Blues, Pig Hog Cables
    Thanks for this info!!!!!!

14. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    you are welcome....it was fun gathering it!

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I asked Dan about tort and he said he does have some good quality tort available.

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Good stuff. Thanks for the low down, Doug.

17. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    That Sonic blue P with the EMG Geezer pickup, now we're talkin'

18. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Had to ask, can you get a P with jazz neck? The P neck felt good to you because you are used to fivers.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The P bass neck was not as chunky as most P bass necks seem to come. A very nice neck profile to say the least.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The green one was not Sherwood (tough to tell from a pic, of course), it's called emerald--a little lighter, perhaps a little sparkly, it was gorgeous.

Matt R and Pet Sounds like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.