Visit to Guitar X

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Today I had the opportunity to go into Guitar X in Denver to try out some stuff when I took my Dingwall in for some servicing. I was able to try out some Warrior basses, which I was quite excited about, as I had only seen pictures before.

I was able to try out several of them, as they had 7 of them in stock. The first one I tried out was a Soldier 5 fretless. I was quite impressed with this bass. Figured maple top with a mahogany/purpleheart neck. It had a sweet mwah sound across the neck and the B string was quite good. I don't have that much to compare it to since I haven't played that many fretlesses.

Next it was off to the Studio 7 neck thru. I was very impressed with this bass. This bass has Lane Poors in it, with a mahogany/purpleheart neck, ebony fretboard and mahogany wings with a quilted maple top. The body on the bass appears quite small, but it looks very good with the neck width. The bass was actually remarkably light. The sound was killer, quite an "open" tone with great definition. It is this bass:

I have some thoughts of buying this bass. The price was certainly reasonable and less than I expected.

There were 2 signatures that I tried, both 5 strings. They were nice basses, but they didn't overly impress me. Part of it is I think that I don't like the feel of large fret wire.

They had a Dingwall Prima 5 string in there. It was quite a nice bass. I didn't play it though, as I spent my time demoing the Warriors and the great cabinets that were in the store.

Overall, this is probably the best store I have been to. Though the bass selection was somewhat limited to Warriors (plus the one Dingwall and some Deans and Ibanezes), the store has a great selection of cabinets and a great atmosphere. Gary Rosen, the owner, let me plug away at the basses as I pleased and it was a very relaxing environment, where I could turn up the amps as I pleased. If you are in Denver I would certainly suggest checking this place out. Gary is a great guy, both with letting me try out all the gear (in a zero pressure setting) and with handling the service issue with Dingwall. I should also mention Sheldon Dingwall's great service in getting to the root of the problem (it appears that the OBP-3 in my Prima is defective) and sending out a replacement preamp.