Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Visit to Skjold's shop today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juneau, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Had a great time at Pete's shop today. Stopped by to see what they were working on for the Arlington Guitar show, and let me tell you, you have to see some of this stuff! I personally can't wait to see the spalted one they were working on today. Its gonna be a looker for sure!

Also, at the show they should have 3 basses I believe with the new electronics combinations they have put together. Including their own pre-amp and pups. Im anxious to hear these in the new basses. Pete showed me the electronics board going in and explained the controls to me. It will have a master volume, a bass only boost that should be a lot warmer than the bart pre. It will also have a treble, and an ultrabright control, and a mid contour that if I recal correctly will simultaneously boost the highs and lows while scouping the mids. (Hope Pete corrects me if I got any of that wrong hehe) It will also have a Pickup Selector switch, rather than a pan pot (like my Dingwall), and a passive/active switch. Combined with his new custom pups, it should have a ton of tonal capabilities.

There are some really beautiful basses in the works and already completed there now. A couple of basses using a White Wenge which I had not seen before but am now in love with. It has the exact same grain patterns as Wenge but is almost maple white. Also some nice Redwood and Lacewood tops.

Pete was really helpfull in telling me about his construction process, from raw wood to finished bass. It was all really interesting to learn. I hope I can go back to the shop in the future when they arent so busy with the upcomming show and maybe get a little more hands on. I saw how they put blocks together for the necks and bodies, and parts of the finishing process. Id like to watch some necks being set or carved out. I think that and the electronics part would be equaly interesting and fun to learn about. It was really cool of the guys to take time out of their very busy schedule to hang out and show me around as much as they did.

Also, Skjold Design has agreed to host another GTG soon here in Dallas for Talkbass. They now have the unit next the other one so there is a lot more room this time around, and hopefully it wont be 100 degrees in the shade this time either hehe.

Anyhow, had a blast at the shop, and I hope anyone interested in some beautiful, great sounding basses will go check them out as soon as they can. They also carry the full line of the now infamous Schroeder cabs, so go by and check those out too!

2. I'll be at Pete's shop Thursday. Can hardly wait to check
    his new basses out :hyper:

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Skjold's seem like really nice basses! I'd love to try on out one of these days.

Now White Wenge is something that I have never heard of! Do you have any pics by chance?

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ill take some pics at the guitar show on the finished basses and post em up here. The show is next weekend.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Pete is one of the coolest people in the bass world. I am looking forward to checking out the new stuff... sounds very interesting.. gotta see that white wenge! maybe i can talk hime into sending one here..

6. Adrian, you need to try a bass with the new electronics. I played Pete's own bass that had his new Skjold pickups in them. They really smoked! Very versatile. I'll never be impressed by a Bartolini preamp again after listening to this.

Also, you guys will need to check out the basses that are only stained on the front, but natural in the sides and back. For those going to the Arlington Guitar show, check out the red curly maple tops!! :bassist:

7. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

ill agree with this.the new preamp sounds great.i really like what he is doing over there.the basses playabilaty,tone,and craftsmanship is right up there with anything ive ever played.i missed the arlington show but was able to check most of his basses out during different stages of productoun and play a few right before the show.they are building me a matching fretted and fretless and i stopped by to check out the progress.the bodies are carved and look fantastic.i cant wait to get mine.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    FWIW, I saw a Skjold with a White Wenge FB, and looked a lot like the Purple heart Sapwood that has a whitish look to it. It's definetly unique. I didn't get a chance to play it or anything because it was just shipped over to the shop, but I would like to hear what other who have played it thought how it may compare to regular Wenge.

9. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Hey how's it going? I saw that you were curious about the white wenge. It is very similar to regular wenge. It is hard and gives the upper mids a little boost. I love it as an alternative to other light colored woods like maple. I didn't even know it existed until this year and so far we are using it for necks too. It is a true wenge , just creme colored.

I hope you get the chance to hear and play that bass, it was a fun one to build.

Pete

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I just came from Pete's shop earlier today (in the DFW area on business). I can second all (or almost all) that Juneau had to say, above. Pete and his partner Ron are super nice guys, and very customer service oriented. I really enjoyed checking out his shop. I saw that bass with the white wenge fingerboard. Very nice! The sound is incredible, and provides high end presence without any hint of harshness. I played through basses employing a variety of electronics, from all Bartolini, to all EMG, to all custom Skjold, and several combinations thereof. I was really impressed at how much better the basses with Pete's custom pickups and electronics sounded. The difference was not subtle! I was somewhat skeptical of how musical such a potentially "busy" preamp design would sound, but all doubts were dispelled. These electronics provide a huge range of tonal possibilities (I had fun coming up with names of bass players' tones for Pete to cop - "Doug Pinnick!", nailed [sort of, he didn't have a 12-string]; "John Paul Jones!", nailed; "Marcus Miller!", nailed), but try as I may, I couldn't get them to sound out of whack. The tone changed (dramatically!), but remained musical. This is an incredible preamp. The pickup selector switch (neck only, both in series, both in parallel, bridge only) works very well, and gives you a lot of flexibility - and all without the tone/volume suck of a stacked blend pot!

My plan was to check out a number of other basses, and make a decision later, but I was so impressed, that I had to place an order for a custom Skjold of my own! After talking to Pete a lot, looking at his beautiful finished basses and some in progress, and after sorting through the beautiful wood blanks laying around his shop, I have my bass! It will be a 5-string Custom, with mahogany body, rosemyrtle top, bubinga fingerboard (and control knobs), 7-piece neck (purple heart, maple, and bloodwood, I think), and tone block (TBD). Needless to say, all Skjold electronics and pickups! I can't wait! I had never heard of rosemyrtle, but I saw the blank off in a corner, and asked Pete, "what's that?" We both knew immediately that we had found the wood for the top of my bass! I also found a strikingly figured bubinga fingerboard that Pete and Ron have had laying around for years. Putting all of these together, it's a very organic look. I am very excited, to say the least!

Thanks again, Pete!

Later, Tom.

11. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i missed my weekly visit to pete's shop this week.ive got a matching fretted and a fretless due to be finished soon-hopefully in time for christmas(you may have seen them).i agree that the new preamps soung great and petes basses play like a dream.i did the same thing you did-went out to "check them out" and ended up buying two.then two weeks ago i took a friend out there to "check them out" and he ordrerd one that day.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, I did see your basses in progress. I had not seen that wood before (what is it, again?), but they look gorgeous! The playability and incredible tone are what won me over. I have always been a neck-through kind of guy, but Pete's basses (especially the ones with his electronics) have that sustain and harmonic content that I like in neck throughs, but with the punch of a bolt on. He and Ron do great work.

Tom.

13. Tom,
    Did you see Jorg's fretless 6? Is that done or was it there? You COULD NOT have missed it!! Singlecut 6 with a redwood top and a bloodwood fingerboard!

YOW!! :eek:

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

I think we need to have Pete post some FRESH pics!!!

Peace,
    JP

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I did see a couple of basses in progress with burled redwood top (which is stunning!), but the bass that Pete said was Jorg's has a mahogany body with a burst-stained maple top (also quite beautiful). I really couldn't decide which of his tops I liked better. They were all gorgeous. But the redmyrtle piece that he is using for mine caught my eye even in its rough condition. It has some 3D waving going on, and a very nice reddish gold color. He is going to do a tobacco burst like finish, with red at the edges, and natural finish in the middle.

16. Congrats Tom on the new bass!

17. What a Wonderful idea!!:hyper:

Especially if he happens to have something like a burled redwood fretless5! I bet that would be a killer bass.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks! I have played a number of more expensive basses, but always came away feeling that either tone or playabilty was not right for me. Pete's basses, however, immediately impressed me (much like the first time I picked up a Thunderbird - though these are totally different instruments, to be sure), so trusting intuition, I had to order one on the spot.

Reports, and pics, will follow, for sure. Of course, I expect Pete will snap some nice shots of my bass as soon as it is done, anyway... :D

19. I only got to noodle around with one of his basses that a local shop just started carrying a few weeks back. Nice bass but all the instruments they had (3) all had the same neck profile and it was waaay to big for my comfort zone. Nice instrument though.

20. BassForLife

BassForLife

Dec 8, 2004
    I agree