1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Visited NYC yesterday..I really feel like I am missing out.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by glocke1, Dec 21, 2017.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    It was just a quick trip, train ride up, a few hours walking around and lunch but taking in all the sights, sounds and attractive women it really makes me feel like I am missing out on a lot of stuff.

For perspective, i live in a somewhat rural, isolated area in Bucks County PA. To get to the closest small town that would have anything of interest I am looking at a drive of roughly 25-30 minutes, and after an hour commute one way to a job that has way to much stress and has me working 9-10 hour days I am loathe to make any kind of a drive anywhere once I am home.

While I get out to play music and jam with friends, thats pretty much the extent of my social outings. It sort of sucks...

Oh, and I am already 50..while in pretty good shape and fairly healthy for my age, it's unlikely I'll be moving from my current location any time soon.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sounds like it's simple enough for you to get here and spend as much time as you want. I'm glad I'm from here but I don't wanna stay forever. It's expensive and crowded.

fretter likes this.
  3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

hour drive to the train station than another hour or so train ride. not easy but doable as long as I have the motivation.

I guess everything is relative..WHen I first moved here ten years ago I was excited about living in a quiet/rural area, but anymore I need more social interactions and other things I am not getting here.

I also have a dog, which complicates things. I love her to death, but arranging time away from the house can get complicated.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    There are highs and lows - the rents are tiny and expensive, taxes are high, you miss a lot not having space, etc.. But there are things you won't find anywhere else, especially the diversity of life. I love visiting, but would not live there.

Big Shrek likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sounds like you need to start having people over without instruments. Just a cookout or something.

Any women for you in that little town?

I have found a perfect balance in a college town. Lots of things to do in this small to medium sized town. But cost of living here is dirt cheap. An hour's drive from the beach house. A few hours to the mountains. About an hour to a major metro area. And (although I'm off the market) lots of pretty ladies.

Get motivated to move now before it's too late. I wouldn't go from rural to full on NYC though.

What line of work are you in?

Big Shrek likes this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    When I was in my 20s I used to always hear people say "New York City is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." Having spent my formative years in a suburb of NYC which allowed me to visit regularly, I couldn't quite figure out what they were talking about, because NYC did not seem to me to be "a nice place to visit" (...well, unless you were visiting 48th Street to buy musical instruments!)

But it did seem like it must be a nice place to do something in...perhaps forge a career? So I moved to NYC in 1986.

And I've now spent 24 of the past 31 years living in NYC. And you know what? New York City is a nice place to visit ...but you wouldn't want to live here. Really. Stay in Bucks County PA, that sounds lovely. Seriously.

Big Shrek, Passinwind, GregC and 2 others like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    @glocke1
    Figure out what you spend a month to live where you live and then go house/apartment shopping online with that number. You'll appreciate Bucks County even more.

Big Shrek likes this.
  8. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've lived in NY twice (actually lived in Bayonne NJ but worked mainly in Brooklyn and Staten Island) and have re-visited several times. If I had to choose a city to live in apart from Dublin, it'd be NY.
    That said, every so often I do check rental prices and decide I'll stay put...at least until retirement or s lottery win!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Grew up in New York. Now in Virginia. I miss it badly. Especially the mass transportation.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. Born/lived/worked NYC.

Retired 12 years ago, and moved out of NY the very next day after retiring.

You could not pay me enough to ever want to go back.

To each their own................

ArtechnikA and Bob_Ross like this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'd imagine I'd like it a lot more if I had lots of money. Like stupid money. 10 million dollar apartment in the city. Taking cabs everywhere. Going to all the cool places and eating all the great foods and the money to do it without a care. That would be something. But living in Queens making lower middle class money ain't it.

GregC, MJ5150 and fretter like this.
  12. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Spend a weekend there. There are still some reasonable hotels last time I checked, especially in China Town, or check out airbnb.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I could see myself living there, but I also like living in the woods like we do now.
    Each time we visit NYC, it's been a pleasant experience.

-Mike

14. My family is New York, the City and the suburbs. Spent a lot of time there.

It's a love/hate thing for me. Very intense. If you have the money, a great place to live. If you don't have money, one of the worst.

edg

15. I felt similar after getting to places like Chicago & Milwaukee & I acted on it almost as soon as I could, but it took at least another year.
    I was grinning like I was sinning on my drive from the East coast out to L.A., & I lived like a sinner when I got there as well!

I did finally get to NYC, twice for long weekends & saw everything I wanted to.
    Chelsea Hotel, CBGB, SNL (Live), even got my face on NBC & ABC (Today & GMA).

It was on my bucket list with N'Orleans & that's checked off now twice as well.

My life now is like you mention, 30 miles to get anyplace. I drove 60 miles round-trip today to visit the Fender dealer.
    At the end of the day I think, "I've been there & done that!"

So my advice is get out there & do it!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    OldDog52 likes this.
  16. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    In the late 80s I was in NYC on a business trip for about 1 day. It’s etched in my brain and entirely positive.

Killed_by_Death and MJ5150 like this.
  17. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    NYC, Manhattan really, is thrilling and exhausting. The best way to visit is to be paid to visit. The next best way is to know somebody who lives there who’ll put you up and put up with you for a week or two.
    These are the two ways I have spent time there and I recommend.

GregC and OldDog52 like this.