Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Visiting Chicago - Store recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFN, Mar 26, 2003.

1. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

I will be visiting Chicago next week and was looking for some recommendations for retailers with a good selection of basses to check out.

I would really like to try one of the Fender Jaco sig fretless models, if anyone has seen any around. The selection from stores in Kalamazoo is rather limited.

Anyway, my wife and daughter plan to do some shopping along the Michigan Ave stretch and I was hoping to find some place to check out not too far from there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, it sounds as you're going to be staying down by the Lake. Let me pull some addresses, and I'll post back later.

Will you have a car, or are you restricted to public transportation (which is quite good where you'll be)?

You won't be far from Lakland, too - I'm told it's worth a visit. Call them if you have any interest.

3. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Correct - We'll be down by the lake. We'll probably park the car somewhere and cab it or take public trans to get around.

I may call Lakland and see if I can stop by the shop. Thanks for your help.

John

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    All of these will have some bass presence - of course, they're heavy on guitar.

Chicago Music Exchange, 3270 North Clark Street
    http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/
    (773) 477-0830

Make'n Music, 250 North Artesian Avenue
    (312) 455-1970
    Not for public transportation users, but if you have a car, it's fun to visit.

Midwest Buy & Sell, 6019 West Irving Park Road
    (773) 545-2020
    Probably the best store in town!

Evanston Guitar Works, 709 Main Street, Evanston
    (847) 475-0855
    http://www.guitarworksltd.com/
    Easy to get to from where you're staying. Nice store.

This link may help, too.

Have fun!

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, and since you have a car, you may want to contact Luthier's Access Group for a truly eye-popping selection of high-end bass gear. I've never been to their store, but see them at local stores.

6. TNJ

TNJ

Mar 5, 2003
    Thanks Ken! :cool:
    Does midwest buy and sell have a website?
    Too bad, if they dont...a store with that rep needs one.
    S.

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    There's a pretty sizeable Guitar Center there, which had a decent selection of basses last time I went:

2633 North Halsted
    Chicago, IL 60614

At the least you could probably find the Jaco Sig there...

-AC

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not that I can find. Do a search on their name - lots of good comments out there!

They may best be reached by car - they're pretty far out.

9. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Guitar Works is a nice store, but I'm not sure I would recommend it given the el ride is 45+ minutes from you staying downtown, unless you call ahead and know they have something you're interested in. I consider it pretty bass-light.

I would have said Make N Music was the best in town, but I haven't been to Midwest. Looks like I have an evening activity to do.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I like Make'n Music, myself. They're located near some pretty bad neighborhoods, but you will be fine if you follow directions on how to get there to a "T".

The Guitar Center is located near some really cool hangouts, depending on what you're looking for.

Chicago Music Exchange has been known to have as many as a dozen or more pre-CBS Fenders in its stock!

If you go to Luthiers Access Group, the drive is far from downtown (about 45 minutes or so), but you'll have a hard time leaving. They sell stuff you may not find elsewhere!:D

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Another vote for Make'n Music.

12. I've had luck in finding cool things at Make'n'Music. It's pretty laid back and has high end gear for you to fiddle with. I haven't been there in a while, but it's probably still the same.

13. is the music exchange the store near the alley? (right near belmont and clark)

cause i've been to an awesome shop there with a ton of old vintage guitars and basses. very awesome store. i dont remember the name though...

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup. That's the one.

15. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Question for Chicago residents:

does anybody know a store in Chicago or Suburbs where the Fender Marcus Miller 4 String or Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string basses are available?

Thanks.

16. Make n music is a cool store. Located on North Artesian. Jost off of Western Ave. and Lake St. Ask for John or Greg is the owner. Nice guys.

The way I go is take Randolf west past the United Center to Western Ave. turn right (north) to Lake st. then go left (west) first corner is Artesian, go right to the gated parking lot and ring the buzzer. Nice building upstairs. Not really the best area, but I never had any trouble.

Lakland shop is also very cool. Call them and ask to come up.

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    soularis,
    As far as the two models you're specifically interested in, you might be limited to the Sam Ash/Guitar Centers in the area...most other stores probably won't have that selection, and I don't have a Fender dealership either...sorry. There is a Sam Ash in Buffalo Grove (about 10 minutes from where I'm located) that may have one or both, and there are also Guitar Centers in Arlighton Heights and near the Lake Cook/I 94 intersection that might also be good places to try. Good luck.

Jay