Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Visual Basic vs C++

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, May 9, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ok, programmers, I've got a question. For 3 of my last 15 credits, I have to take an intro (of sorts) computer programming course. I've taken C++ twice before, once failing, and once dropping. I've also taken a course based on GIS software (ArcGIS) that briefly touched Visual Basic.

Sooo, my question is, what is the simpler, easier to understand language?

2. Whoa! I hope you aren't expecting many responses in this forum!
    It just happens that I used to be a programmer.

That being said...VB. Easier to learn and produces more "business" applications.

I've gone rounds with C and C++. If you want to get closer to operating systems, drivers, and have great control over bits and bytes, be my guest.

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    If you want something easier go vith VB. C++ is great for important things but if you just want to write stupid little programs that you can have some fun with then go with VB.

4. VB is also more programmer friendly when it comes to creating the interface for the program you are creating also. I mean, how hard is it to drag a box and say its a text box? :p

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, that's what I gathered about VB. The only advantage that C++ holds over VB is that it is offered in the summer.

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
  7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Would I then be fluent in two additional languages?
    ;)

8. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    VB easier. C++ much more powerful.

what do u want to do after you graduate?

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Hmmm, I'm probably going to take C++ this summer just because, after further analysis of my degree audit, it would fit better. Although, VB would probably be more beneficial to me, as ArcGIS uses some VB in the manipulation of shapefiles and creation of new layers, etc.

10. I once made "Kill The Icons" in VB. Was a game where you kept clicking icons falling from the top and if one hit the bottom you lost. After each level they fell faster and faster. Was so fun. Then I tried to learn java...best thing I made was Craps but failed the class anyways.

11. VB are much more easier to program, and there are tonnes of libraries available.

VC++ are more for lower level programming, if u need to deal with networking stuffs, driver stuffs... and so on.

Anyway, heard that VB is going to be outdated, and replaced by VB.NET, which does have some language changes.

And VC++ is going to be replaced by C# of course...

:)

12. Although I do prefer C and C++, I have to admit that visual basic is a lot easier.

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    When I graduated high school, I thought I wanted to be a code slut when i grew up. To that end, I took a couple programming classes to see what it was like. Visual Basic is a good high level language for novices because it's easy to get up and running with once you learn the syntax. C++ is a huge, infinitely capable programming language, but it's a proper bastard to learn. It is, however, a whole lot easier to get into if you know C.

I never could get it right, though.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    for an intro class, i'd say vb would be your best bet. a good, easy to grasp introduction to oop would help in your future programming endeavours.

the ideal solution nowdays, though, is to work on c#.net, imo. the best option, in the newest development environment.

15. I can't really agree to that second point. It depends a lot on what kind of development you do. If you are going a purely windows mainly non-realtime oriented path it's good, but if you need to write fast software (or need a lot of direct hardware access) and portable software C and C++ are still the way to go probably will continue to be for some time.

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    C / C++ is portable to every computing platform currently available while VB is a Windows only language. I personally (being a CS major) would go for C++, but if you want easy then VB would be the better choice.

17. That's already pretty much happened. This year they changed from using VB6.0 to VB.Net. Even though I took the class last year I checked it out this year (VB.Net that is, not the class). They have made the form setup easier (which I don't know how, it's enough in 6.0) and changed a little of the language, but not much, to make it even more easier.