Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Visual difference....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Rav, Jan 18, 2005.

1. The Rav

The Rav

Jan 18, 2005
    Is there a visual difference from a guitar amp and a bass amp? I am buying a bass at a pawn shop and I dont want them to give me a guitar amp on accident.

2. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    It can be hard to tell with some brands. If it has built in reverb or tremolo, you can almost bet it's a guitar amp. Also if it's a combo and it has an open back (meaning you can see the speaker magnet) it's probably a guitar amp.

Best thing to do is get the make and model and Google it.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The open back is a good indication of a guitar amp. Another way to check is to plug a bass into it and while the store owner isn't looking turn the volume up about half way. Then start thumping on the "E" string. If it sounds like a series of short farts then it is a guitar amp. :meh:

4. The Rav

The Rav

Jan 18, 2005
    Hmm...well, the pawn shop closed an hour ago, so I cant go check, but I know the models of three I like, and maybe that can indicate if they generally make bass amps.

Their was a peavey, a crate, and a marshall.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Marshall is primarily guitar only. I'm not sure if they ever made bass amps.

Crate and Peavy both make bass and guitar so more details will be needed.

6. The Rav

The Rav

Jan 18, 2005
    I am pretty sure the peavey is a bass amp. The bass I want is a Peavey Foundation, and I have found that that is an old bass, and the amp is pretty old. Another thing is that the peavey has one blue button. Does that mean anything? I didnt really get a good look at the crate though.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Check out the Peavey, get a model and post it here. Someone will be able to tell you if its a bass amp or not. I had a peavey combo 300 for years and it was a true workhorse.

8. HAHAH i dont know why but i cant stop laughing at this

9. The Rav

The Rav

Jan 18, 2005
    I have the models of all the amps that I liked.

Peavey Decade
    Squier Sidekick
    Marshall G15rcd
    Crate GX-15

I dont know if these are bass amps or not though.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    They're all guitar amps...sorry

They probably all have open back cabinets and cheesy little speakers.

Perhaps the easiest place to look is to go to www.harmonycentral.com look under "user reviews" then you can choose guitar amps, bass amps and a bunch of other categories, choose to list by manufacturer, then follow the links to the models that have been reviewed.

I don't know what the pawnshop is charging for those amps, but Musician's Friend has the Squier for $50 brand new. But it's still a guitar amp, not suited for bass.

How much money do you have to spend and where do you live?

11. The Rav

The Rav

Jan 18, 2005
    I have about $50-$100 dollars and I live in Missouri. I only need an amp for practicing though.

One thing though, the squier has a closed back.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  13. The Rav

The Rav

Jan 18, 2005
    Yeah, thats the one. Lately though, I have been thinking about just buying a starter kit instead of shopping at my pawn shop. I think it would be overall easier.

Thanks for all of your help though. And thinks for showing me Musicians Friend.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You have to be very, very careful shopping at pawnshops...most that I've been to overprice their junk

What stores do you have near you? An Guitar Centers? FWIW, Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend. If you're going to buy new, be sure to price shop....www.zzounds.com, www.samash.com, www.music123.com, www.riksmusic.com, www.roxymusic.com. Guitar Center will match anyones price if you bring a copy in. They seem particularly hungry this year so it's a good time to get a good deal. And don't be too bashful to ask them if "that's the best that they can do?" If you can identify a manager, they're more likely to give in a little bit.

15. I have this very amp. Wow do I like it! Its quite heavy, mine has casters on it to help move it around.

I got it for $100 from a guy in my area who bought it new back in the late 70's.

Definitely one of those 'no frills' amps but very easy for techs to work on, can take a beating, and boy it is loud! Its got a unique ported design, and I'll probably never turn it up to the volume required to max out this amp. Nice warm tone though. Did I mention loud?

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    If it sounds like a series of short farts then it is a guitar amp.

man my duaghter must be a guitar amp................ :rolleyes: