1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

visual differences 3015,3015lf

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Sep 15, 2010.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    just received a 3015lf i ordered. the box it came in said 3015 then had 3015lf written on it. is there any visible difference to look for to make sure i have the correct driver. thanks

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    This is a 3015.

3. Don at LDS got fooled by Eminence wrong labeling also (he got HO's labeled LF's a while back).

I'll check the website, but pretty sure that the HO's have 'ribs' on the cones and the LF's don't.

Edit: Checked the pictures on the site... this is correct, as RPSands verified.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's correct. Ribs is a 3015, smooth cone is a 3015LF. Both have silver rims.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The only obvious difference is the thickness of the aluminum donut on the back of the magnet structure. Measure the total depth of the driver, compare that to the manufacturer's driver data sheet.

6. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    talked to someone at emminece, on one of the basket arms inside theres a tag. i got a non lf. but after talking to the tech there he told me the non lf would be better for my need. this is in a peavey tvx cab powered by a gk700rbii along with a avatar 210. he said the 240w from the gk not near enough to pwer the lf and the non lf would be much better in this cab. by the specs i read i thought it was to big a cab but he modeled it at 300w and saidit would be much more efficient for my needs. make sense?

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If it's the peavey TVX I'm thinking of, the 3015LF is a better fit for that cab. however, the 3015LF should not be run full range.

The 3015 will sound better without a low pass in place, but if you were to put the 3015LF in there and add a low pass based off Greenboy's fEarful (the diagram and parts list for the low pass only sub crossover is in the wiki), I think you would be better off than with the 3015.

The 3015LF is probably a better sensitivity match, and will offer improved low end extension over the 3015. With the 3015 you're not gaining a ton.

8. Again, to make sure, if it has ridges on the cone, it is non, if it has smooth cone, it is LF.

The LF is not designed for use as a stand-alone bass speaker. It is more like a subwoofer I guess, and is typically crossed over and paired with a mid driver. If you cab is one way, or a more traditional two way with a tweeter, then the HO is probably the way to go.

Now, whether the cab you are putting either driver in will work with that particular driver is another issue.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes. The LF is of no particular benefit if you're not pushing it with over 300 watts, while the higher sensitivity of the non-LF will give better results if you have substantially less than that.
    They have identical off-axis response, so both should be used with a mid driver, as should all fifteens unless dispersion above 1.2kHz is something that doesn't matter to you, as in you play flats through buckers thumb-style, for instance.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    There's an additional reason to use a midrange driver with a 3015LF. It has ragged disgusting midrange peaks above 1khz or so. It is very hard to dial them out for most bass amps.

Running one with a 2x10 on top without a crossover will likely have some nasty phase artifacts or at the very least not sound great.

11. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Used full-range, the on-axis response of the 3015 and the 3015lf is quite dissimilar, to my ears at least.

12. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    i installed the 3015 and it is an unbelievable difference. i got nowhere near the volume with the sheffield without it farting out badly.

13. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    this is exactly how the tech at eminence described it. when run with my 210 it only sees 240w. i always run it the 210 because of how the sheffeield sounded but the 3015 sounds great alone also.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Have you tried running it with just the 1x15 yet? :) Might make you want to replace the Avatar 2x10 ;)

15. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    yeah i have:hyper: and yes i may:hyper: makes me want to find another old tvx to put another one in. but think i need to find a little more managable cab. the tvx isn,t too bad but maybe a couple tl606 stlye cabs.

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, they are definitely on the big side. The 3015 can go in a much smaller box (25-33% smaller) no problem.

If you want awesome, try putting an actual 3015LF in the TVX and then build yourself a headcase with the fEarful stuff in it. :)

17. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    when i bought this speaker i had ordered an lf, thats what started this thread. my original plans for the tvx was to install the lf, then eventually a mid,xover and tweeter. but if my amp is not going to let me fully utilize the lf i may stick with the non lfs as i have no intenetion of changing my amp a gk700rbii.

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What Bill and Eminence didn't tell you:

Watts are not just watts when it comes to excursion.

Your 250 watts becomes easily capable of destroying the 3015 if you add even 3-4db of bass via eq. Further, the 700 RB II is prboably capable of peaks of nearly twice its rated wattage. They are extremely conservatively rated.

The 3015LF provides the same low end response combined with being able to take around 4 times as much power (which means 4 times as much bass eq).

250 watts at +3db @ 50hz exceeds xmax on the 3015, but is well within the margin of safety for a 3015LF.

19. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    i,m sure the lf will handle alot more. ive had the crappy old sheffield in that cab for a couple years an would fart away when cranked but never blew. i,ve pushed this 3015 beyond what the other would stand and still sounded sweet. i hope it will do well,so far i,m happy. i think its a trade off, the lf will handle more but as i understand it the non lf is going to be more responsive and give me more volume at the wattage i am running.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    More responsive is doubtful. More volume -- only in the mids. Performance in the bass frequencies is basically identical.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021