1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Visual differences between nickel and stainless steel strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lordhasta, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Lordhasta

Lordhasta

Aug 16, 2012
    I just started playing the bass guitar since about a month ago, and I was wondering if there are any visual differences between nickel and stainless steel strings. I want to find out what my standard set of strings are that I got with my first bass.

2. What is the bass? I find nickel plated strings to have a bright almost chrome-like colour. Stainless tend to be darker.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    To my eyes nickel roundwounds have a slightly yellowish tinge, while stainless is silver/grey. The difference disappears with flatwounds...I can't tell the two apart visually.

4. Stainless strings tend to feel more rough

5. Stainless steel strings are generally darker and more dull in color while nickels are bright and have I nice shine to them.

Also, as Delirium said, stainless steel strings are generally prety rough on the fingers but that varies a bit from maker to maker. DRs, for example, don't feel all that different from typical nickels but Ken Smith's feel like you're playing on sandpaper.

6. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Yes...nickels have a kinda goldish tinge, and are smoother to the touch than SS strings.