Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Visual Sound H2O

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Nov 13, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I bought one of these a few days ago, based on reviews, and the staff at the music store's recommendations. It sounded really good in the store, too. However, I was very disappointed/angered when I set it up with my rig. I placed it in my amps effect loop, (where it should be) and the Chorus sounded great. Very lush, even though it loses some bottom end girth. The Echo side sucked. It was distorted and had random volume spikes, regardless of where I set the controls. I switched my board around a little and tried running it straight into the front of my amp. The Echo sounded much better, warm and old-school, but the Chorus sounded all screwed up. The knobs seemed to have no effect on the Chorus and it distorted even with a slight attack. Needless to say, this one is going back. Hopefully, I just got a bad unit, but the MXR Stereo Chorus is looking pretty nice right about now. I hope this saves some of you some headaches. Peace.

2. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    I think its really designed mainly for guitar because my brother has one and it sounds wonderful. I dont know though, I've never tried it for bass.

3. Have you checked the battery? My friend had one and it went screwy for no reason one day. Changed the battery and all was well. If you are using a wall adapter make sure it's the right voltage for it.

I've used it on bass and it sounded great. Hope you get yours sounding the way you want.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm using a 1 Spot to power it, so that should be fine. I think I may take this as an omen and return it. I'll bet it does sound really good with guitar, though.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I borrowed our guitarist's H2O at a recent gig. I had it on the floor, not in the loop; it went compressor - Xciter, distortion - chorus - amp. It was a casual private party, so on break I took some time with a couple party guests comparing it with my Boss CEB-3. We all agreed that the CEB sounded better - and, in fact, my two helpers had a hard time telling the H2O was in-line sometimes (especially with the just-before-the-chorus overdrive turned-off). I also noticed this during the set; with the whole band, even I had a hard time telling.

I didn't try the echo at all.

I've learned on my CEB - which I'm appreciating more all the time, as I learn the best settings - that I have to set it to sound like 'too much' alone, to sound 'right' when I'm mixed-in with the band. It's nice to know that the CEB IS capable of being set all the way from 'no effect' to 'too much' for any situation; if you crank every knob on that thing clockwise, it turns every sound the bass could make into a horrendous, scrambly, non-musical wreck. SOMEWHERE in-there, there's always 'just the right amount'! That low-cut filter feature is really, really the way to go for bass chorus, I think! To have fundamental tones (maybe talking below a couple-hundred Hertz) un-chorused and solid, then a nice deep, heavily-shifted chorus on the 'harmonic character' is powerful!

..Like I said, though: It seemed that there wasn't a setting on the H2O that was 'too much' for solo bass, or really even 'enough' with the band.

Joe

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah, I don't think that I'll regret letting this one go.The chorus isn't as good as my old Digitech Bass Multi-Chorus, (great unit, BTW) and the echo isn't as good as the echo on my old Ibanez DE-7. This one was just a learning experience, I guess.

7. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Sounds like you might have a defective unit. I own one and use it for bass and guitar and have never had any problems like you describe.

8. John_P

John_P

Jun 29, 2005
    Hull Uk
    I use the H2O with guitar and agree that it sounds awesome. I actually prefer the CEB3 on Bass though - the h2o didn'r lose much bottem end but it didn't quite feel as natural. At some point I'll be comparing an ebs chorus as I keep hearing good things about them.

Definitely something not right about your H2O - it may be worth trying another H20 but I'm not sure I'd bother when the ebs and boss (amongst others) are widely accepted to do the job well.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I generally love VS products, but the H2O wasn't my bag of chips either. Frankly for chorus, I love my Peavey BAC-2 and Echo an Ibby DE-7 does the trick. The VS H2O was acceptable, but wasn't nearly as lush as I wanted for the chorus and the Echo was alright.

Seperate pedals for me.

The Jekyll and Hyde however, is another story. :)

10. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    Try the new $20 Behringer chorus, if you dont have moral qualms about it. I like it alot and its cheaper than the Digitech or Boss, nonetheless its plastic but I'd give it a shot.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I returned my H2O yesterday and came home with an MXR Stereo Chorus. This is about all the chorus I should ever need. The thing that amazes me about the MXR is how quiet it is. It sounds great and there are lots of adjustments. I think my Chorus dilemma is over. Thanks for your support.

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What? Like you're DONE?

You're going to come-back with a more complete review when you've had a chance to take'er around the block, right?!

Joe

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Absolutely! I haven't even had it for 24 hours though, so I don't feel I could be accurate in a review. Let me spend a little more time with it and I'll let you know how it does. :bassist:

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have now had ample experience messing around with the MXR. In a word, she is flexible. I can get anywhere from "barely audible" to "whoa, that's too much". It has separate Bass and Treble EQ bands, for tuning in a good chorus tone, an Intensity control, which is a clean blend, and Rate and Width controls, you should know what these do. (The LED pulsates at the Rate you have dialed in.....cool.) There is also a switch that applies the effect only to higher frequencies. This little switch is key to we bass players. Anyway, I keep the Bass and Treble flat, Intensity and Width maxxed, and Rate all the way down. This gives me just the right amount of chorus so that it sounds nice by itself but adheres to distortion very well, when I kick it in. Additionally, there is ZERO NOISE from this pedal. There are drawbacks, though. It runs on 18v. MXR, does supply the adaptor, but the cord is rather short, so it has to stay close to a power source. You can also use two 9v batteries, but that would get expensive in a hurry. Also the unit is a little pricey for some. If you NEED chorus, and use it a lot, this is a good investment, but if you only use it a little, you may be better off with a Boss or Digitech. They are both good and cost less. I hope this helps some of you. Later.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes!

Thanks,

Joe