1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde V2 SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, so I don't know how I feel about this pedal yet, so I'll just cut straight to the clips. Here's the Hyde channel, gain maxed, treble rolled back to 9 o'clock, and mids at 3 o'clock:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7422485

and here's the Hyde Channel with the Wilson Bass Q Wah in front of it:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7422498

and here's the Jekyll Channel:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7422505

and then the Jekyll after the Wilson wah:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7422510

bass was just an SX P/J. So let me know what you think.

2. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    I like it!!
    Hyde channel is my favourite.

How would you compare it to the voodoo sparkle? According to your clips, they sound quite similar! The J&H seems to have way more gain though.

3. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Well the Sparkle Drive is of course a TS-808 with a clean blend, and the Jekyll channel is also a TS-808, but with a bass boost. Personally I like the bass boost better than the clean blend, blending just sounds kind of wonky to me, and that's the reason I bought this pedal, the Hyde channel is just a bonus for me. The Hyde channel has more bass, more gain, and more sustain. Both channels provide a kind of grainy distortion, also not entirely unlike the MXR M-80 Bass DI. I'm planning on taking the Jekyll and Hyde to a gig to see how well it holds up there, so I'll have to report back on that when I've made up my mind about how it sounds.

4. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Is the bass boost active on the clips?

Anyway, there's something I don't like about this pedal: It's too big!!
    They made the separate Hyde channel stompbox available fortunately.

5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes the bass boost is on. I haven't experimented with this pedal at high volume enough yet to make any broad statements about low end loss or retention, but I did crank my amp up quick with the bass boost on the Jekyll channel, and I got a pretty punchy sound. Of course these clips were recorded at low volume, so you don't really get to feel the true power of the pedal.

It is a fairly large pedal, but it's actually quite a bit smaller than I expected. It does actually fit on my pedaltrain jr. with four other pedals, one of them being a wah. But that Son of Hyde looks really cool too.

6. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    I see.. son of Hyde comes without bass boost.. it might be not so suitable for bass.
    How is it with the boost off?

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    The Bass Boost only affects the Jekyll Channel. The Sharp/Blunt switch is what you get with the Hyde Channel, and I used the Blunt setting for these clips. Still sounds plenty sharp to me though. I do think the Hyde Channel is better on the bottom end than the Jekyll Channel, even with the bass boost on on the Jekyll Channel.

The thing to remember with a pedal like this is that, even though it may not necessarily cut out your fundamental at all, the distorted sound is more harmonically complex and therefore "louder" than your clean signal. In order to retain all of your fundamental, you need to bring the fundamental up to unity gain, which will overall result in a distorted sound that appears louder than unity gain when compared to your clean signal. If you don't, you will appear to lose some bottom.

But that's fine for people like me, in general I want my distorted sounds to be more powerful than my clean signal, so the audience feels like I'm taking something away from them when I kick my distortion off, if you get what I'm saying. And conversely you can go from a clean signal to a bigger, slightly louder distorted signal that fills things up more, great for a bigger sounding chorus than verse or what have you. I think it serves the song well that way.

8. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Ah ok, that's good! Son of Hyde would sound exactly the same if that's so.

Good point.. anyway, the Hyde channel would sound very good for leads in my opinion.

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sounds like you're using a pick, eh?

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, the Hyde Channel has a nice sustain to it which is great for leads. That's what I plan on using it for.

And yeah, I used a pick for all these clips.

11. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Gig report?

12. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    This thing sounds brutal to me. Really similar to my Gemini Drive on some settings.

13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Unfortunately I haven't gigged this pedal. Though it sounds great, it's really just not my aesthetic... yeah I'm lame and get picky about things like that haha. It's very gnarly with the SX P/J I used to record the clips, but I think it might sound a little better with my Fender... I'll have to see about doing clips with that. It certainly can get very gnarly and snarly.

14. Mark, having had it for a while now, can you say a bit more about low end loss on either channel? I'm seriously considering picking up a Son of Hyde for metal-ish lead tones, but if the jekyll channel provides a suitable overdrive for bass that retains low end, I might buy the Jekyll and Hyde 2 in 1, and use the Jekyll to replace my Boss POS-3. I mean, ODB-3. Heh.

15. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    + 1

16. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I really need to play with it more to make any broad statements about low end retention, but I will say so far I don't think the low end is bad on this pedal, it's definitely usable, especially for leads. The bass I used to record the clips is extremely bright and grindy, so you might not notice the low end as much as it really is there in the clips. The Hyde channel is better with the low end than the Jekyll side I think, but when I did crank my rig up with the Jekyll channel the low end was quite thunderous. Definitely usable with that bass boost. Really need to try it with more guitars though to get a good feel for it. I'll find out more when I can.