Vital Information

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rafterman, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Hey guys,

I wanna know if any of you guys have heard of this awesome band...

I've been a fan of these guys for a while now. They really know how to put on an awesome show live!!!...I saw these guys a few weeks ago and I was amazed and inspired by the whole band...but most especially Frank Gambale!!!...this guy is
    MR. CHOPS!!!...for those of you who are familiar with this virtuoso/monster, you know what i'm talking about...i'm aiming for those kind of chops on the bass.

and about the bass player...what do you guys think of Baron Browne being the new guy, as opposed to Jeff Andrews, who is one badass, lemme tell ya!...for those of you who don't know, download "Moby Dick" by Vital Information.

I feel that Jeff Andrews has/had better tone. I prefer him over Baron...barely. :)

Any Vital Information fans out there???
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still have their early albums layin' around...
    At that time, Kai Eckhardt was the bassist.
    Back then, the group's sound was similiar to, maybe, early '80s Spryro Gyra or Wishful Thinking...perhaps.
    I guess Steve Smith has been the constant, right?

I do have a couple of their later releases w/ Andrews(I love his playing) of those discs has some Funky Acoustic bass-type grooves(& a cover of Led Zep's "Moby Dick", no less).

Gambale? Yeah, I dig him, too. I have most of his early stuff(beginning with Brave New Guitar & a LIVE set at The Baked Potato...his bassist at that time was Steve Kershernick(?).
    Later Gambale releaes, of course, had his Elektric Band mate, Patitucci.

Like Mike Stern, IMO, Gambale writes some pretty decent tunes..."Schmooze" is one my personal favs.

...more later, gotta go! ;)
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i like baron browne sooooooooo much more in that band than jeff andrews. i caught them at the catalina bar and grill last year and it was great. baron has this half precise jaco, half stank paul jackson thing going on that fits the music a lot better the jeff's imo.
  4. I like Jeff's tone much better...Baron's tone is not as clear and defined as Jeff's IMO. Baron DOES fit into Vital Information very well though...they are just two different flavors.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yeah, its kind of the yamaha vs. the 78 jazz. to me a 78 jazz wins out every time. i love those things!
  6. I can never seem to find any Vital Information discs at the record store. Which albums would you recommend? I really like Frank Gambale's playing, but I'd also like to hear some more of Jeff Andrew's playing?

Incidentally, speaking of Frank Gambale, does he play any straight-ahead/boppish kind of stuff? I can listen to the man sweep all day, but I also find him extrememly musical aside from the sweep-picking. I can totally imagine the guy ripping through bebop changes, but I'd like to actually hear him do that if there are any recordings of that sort.
  7. Frank Gambale is THE MAN. He does what you are asking for...Check out Vital Information's album..."Where We Come From"...that's a dope album with Frank Gambale and Jeff Andrews.
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dont know if gambale has ever recorded any jazz but when i saw him play with ric fierabracci and ray brinker they played the chick corea tune humpty dumpty and it was killer. when i hear jimmy bruno sweep i always think of gambale because i like the way he does it better. now if gambale had bruno's tone when playing jazz id be in hog heavan
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

More Andrews to listen to-
    Don't forget about Mike Stern's Time In Place with the angular Funk of "Chromozone" w/ Mike Brecker.

Also, Tom Coster's The Forbidden Zone(w/ Andrews, Scott Henderson, Dennis Chambers, etc).
    ...& it's companion disc, Let's Set The Record Straight(Alphonso Johnson, Chambers, Gambale, etc). Both are nice examples of '90s Jazz Fusion.

BTW, Andrews used to play a '60s-ish(?) P-bass that was modified to a Jazz pickup config...has he abandoned that bass?
  10. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    what is that old jeff andrews p bass? or jazz bass?
    love it and his great playing.... check this out

11. bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I saw Vital Information back when Tim Landers was the bassist-awesome concert!!!!! Tim played bass and a Taurus bass pedal.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:
  12. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Wow, I had no idea so many people had held the bass chair in that band. For the "new" guy, hasn't Baron done it for about 10 years? I used to be Baron's agent for a few years and I have stood at the side of the stage with my jaw hanging open, listening to him play. Very cool guy, too.
  13. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Just saw Baron with "Vital Legacy", a combination of players and material from both Vital Information and Steve Smith's Jazz Legacy project. Baron was smokin!!!

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a CD of that band, Baron swings his a$$ off!:bassist:
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    anyone remember when steve smith replaced aynsley dunbar in journey, and steve perry would do interviews about him and say, "he doesn't have the chops of aynsley but he fits the music better?"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! no wonder everyone in journey hates him now! he's an idiot!
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No doubt...although-
    I still prefer the Dunbar/Rollie daze of Journey.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    me too. but their manager forced steve perry on them because he claims rolie's voice was "trashed." you had to sing really high and girly back then, otherwise nobody in the business thought of you as a singer. craziness. sorry, but i like male singers who sing like men ;)
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Like this?

19. Ain't that the truth. Gimbale's tone is just awful... that horrible combination of thin/no low end and 'fake non tube distortion' IMO. Nice player though.

Never was a huge fan of Vital Information, but I do LOVE Jeff Andrews as a player. Steve Smith is a talented drummer of course... just something not right to me about his feel or something. I guess just pure personal taste... just doesn't speak to me.

I do get a giggle out of the Vital Information cover of Moby Dick though:bassist:
  20. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1, Jeff Andrews and Dave Livolsi (played on "Bump") are the two most underrated electric them...