Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VL-208....REPLACEMENT MID-DRIVERS???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Feb 1, 2006.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Hello All!!

Been off-line for some time, life happens I guess.
    Found my VL-208 kickin-out some distortion after a pretty rough gig the other day, still puting out good tone and plenty of bottom tho! Did all my basic checks and it WAS the cab. The next "basic check", took the screen off and gently exercised the drivers. The mid-drivers(little 5.25" i think)were VERY GRITTY and the cones were quite slow rise back into resting position. After removing one of the drivers for examination I realized it was a "sealed unit"! It then occured to me that replacing these little numbers may be quite difficult if indeed they were found to be bad.
    MY QUESTION:
    Anybody dealt with this? Any insight?
    I emailed John Dong from EA and havn't heard back as of yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Miss this Forum!!
    LPB!

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Just heard back from John@EA!! Replacement drivers are readily available through EA. I've had this cab for quite some time and am quite pleased to still get access to replacement parts and/or support from the manufacturer. Good Stuff!!

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was about to say, give John a day, but he beat me to it! :D EA service is mind-bogglingly good. :)

Tom.

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Glad John you could help you out.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    So am I!! I can't tell you guys how good it feels to have some correct parts on the way for this cab!! For a minute I was forced to think some pretty "wrong" thoughts about what to replace those drivers with!! After this experience I can tell you the next "serious" cab I'm going to buy will be another EA.

6. I have nothing but praise for EA's service....they sent me replacement parts at NO cost for my vl-108 and vl-208 just from an email. I got personal response from John and Larry on these. I've been sold on them for a long time now.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    drivers are in, cab sounds good as new! can't say enough about these guys. In a world where customer service and support are no longer a requirement and in an industry where many are willing to make compromises in order to achieve the sound we want it's great to know that with EA I don't have to. One look inside the cab during the driver replacement gave me added insight into the quality and attention to detail brought forth by this company. High praise goes out to John and team at EA!!

Thanks!
    LPB

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great news! I am glad (but not in the least bit surprised) that things worked out so well for you! :)

Tom.