1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VLE / VPF on the LMII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpectorBass308, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I was wondering to what exact setting do you set your VLE and VPF for your favorite tone on the LMII. I have had mine for a while and still am not sure of the settings I like. Right now im using VLE on 2.5 and VPF on about 3.

Thanks.

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    mine usually stays between 8 and 9 oclock for both. Some days if I'm looking for more booty and snap I'll pull the VPF up to 10 or 11 oclock.

3. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I don't use the VLE at all.:p I use the VPF between 8 and 10 o'clock depending on how much booty and slice I want. The reason I don't like the VLE is because my favorite thing about the Markbass amp is that zingy slice it has on top. Great for slapping or pinching harmonics, and as long as there's a similar amount of bottom end I find no sin in spicy sizzle on top.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I don't use either. I keep forgetting it's there.

5. I use 'em both... VLE between 8 & 11 oclock, VPF about the same @ 8-11oclock.

This is using with Aguilar GS112 using an EUB & Precision w/ flats. Or using it with an EV TL 115 -same basses. Sometimes BOTH Cabs-Aguilar GS112 & EV 115. With the EV cab I use the VPF up at about 10-11 oclock as its a bit more 'middy', than the GS112. This cuts out any mid freqs that 'stick out' & smooths it out nicely. GREAT features IMHO. My EQ usually stays pretty flat too.

6. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    +1

7. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I dont use either.

8. Double Flame!!!!! ;-)

9. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    Not at all - to each his own. The only rules for setting controls are the ones that work for each person's individual tonal preference. :) Every chef has his own recipe. ;)

10. i don't use either...EQ for the room...

11. TRIPLE FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was joking guys. Of course -each to his/her own!!!! I sometimes turn mine off or up a lot....depends. Mine were just examples of usual settings. Cheers :)

12. VLE at 9 oclock. I'm not a fan of the VPF

13. So much depends on the bass and cab also. I too love my zing, but usually have the VLE on just a touch to smooth out the top end. With a Celinder and Epi cabs (or the larger Berg HT's), it sounds great that way. With a Lakland with Barts... no need. That's what is so cool about that control... nice way to do a subtle voicing of the top end. I've never had it on past 8 o'clock or so.

The VPF.... I actually find the totally flat sound of the LMII a little too mid mid forward for me. However, just turning the VPF on a touch... I'm mean just barely....under 8 o'clock just subtley softens the mid mids a touch and makes the amp sound just great to me with the cabs and basses I have.

This depends on the cabs also. For my S stack, I keep it pretty much off. When I had my Schroeder, I ran the VPF at around 10 o'clock to even out the strong mid response of that cab. For my Epi410, I pretty much leave those filters off and just cut a touch of upper mids.

REALLY great, simple functional EQ to me!

That being said, a little of each of those filters goes a long way with most cabs, but it's nice to have the power if you are using more voiced cabs like the Schroeders, etc.

14. Running a Roscoe SKB-3006 through the LMII into Berg HT/EX 112's I've been setting the VLE at 9 o'clock & the VPF at 12 o'clock. I sometimes boost the bass on the EQ to 1 o'clock, other than that the EQ is left flat.

15. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    I dont use both either, with my earplugs I need all treble I can get from the amp.

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Agree that it depends on bass and cab(s). With Schro 1212 that's mid-forward I use VLE and VPF both at 9 o'clock, all else flat, regardless of the bass. With Epi 210/112 and passive CB/flats I leave all flat and filters off. With 5501/rounds for slap I use eq flat, VLE off and VPF at noon.

17. the2112

the2112

Feb 20, 2006
    Livermore, Ca
    I agree, but I would add that it's not only a personnal choice but also what works best with the mix. I use a Geddy Jazz with a MiniCMD121P and 115HF, I like the thunder and the top end this set up brings to the table. The VPF adjustment (set at 12:00) is a quick way to EQ out the bright midrange of the smaller 12" cab (when played without the 15") and it bring out more articulation and snappiness. The VLE is usefull in certain rooms with hard surfaces, (9:00 is enough).

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021