1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VM Jaguar Neck Heal Width Please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systolic, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    So! I have the VM Jag Special. I like it very much overall (for the price,) but I would like to replace the neck. I KNOW that some other VM series necks will NOT fit (tried a VM P & VM fretless J)

Would the (blocked) neck from the the regular Jag fit my Jag special? If somebody could just answer that straight out that'd be easiest.

Otherwise, if anybody knows the width of the heel of the neck of the standard Jag, I could do a comparison with mine.

Thanks guys.

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    What do you dislike about that neck? (Just asking)

Is yours the black on black? If so it is just screaming for a maple fretboard neck.

Usually Fender necks are the same heel size for the Js and the Ps, makes me wonder why your Jag body would not take any other necks from the same series.

3. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Well I have the Jag special, so the bass itself is 'burst with the black pg and the natural headstock. So is it a full black on black right now....no. But I think the addition of the blocked neck with the black headstock would look pretty snazzy with the black pg. Also planning on replacing tuners with black hipshots and a d-tuner.

The neck shape itself is comfortable i'm just not really happy with the fret job. Sprouting, uneven, etc...and the rosewood, with dots, with natural headstock is a touch boring for me. This is becoming my METAL! bass, so a little more black couldn't hurt.

I too was surprised when both of my other VM necks were definitely to wide for the pocket.

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Too wide by a little sanding margin or by enough it would need wood removed? If the bolts lined up, and I think they would, a lottle sanding won't hurt anything.

Do you have a source for the blocked neck from the other Jag? It could cost more to get than it is worth. Recently GC and MF had their Special Run Jaguars with the block neck and a Sunburts or Red on sale for $240.

5. Bassfacist

Bassfacist

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle
    Looking to do the same thing on my VM jag special.(Same sunburst and black PG) but I am going tort guard with a maple neck. Was thinking about trying to get the blocked neck off a VM J or Modern player jag. But I was not aware of the difference in heel size...

6. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I remember it being pretty far off. I didn't check to see if the bolts would line up once I realized the neck wouldn't fit.

Worth it? Probably not, but I don't mod cheap squiers for financial reason.

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I just went and looked at the Sunburst exclusive version GC has on sale and on the website it doesn't have a black headstock, and I guess it wouldn't now that I think of it because color matching headstocks for sunburst Fenders usually didn't happen (match what?), odd that the red one also had a plain headstock as well, but did have the block inlays.

8. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    FYI my VM Jaguar P/J black with block inlays, matching headtock etc. Has a Jazz neck, it is exactly like my MIM Jazz and my Pete Wentz P, whichh has a Jazz neck. Just more aesthetically pleasing.

9. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    "Just like" as in the same profile or "just like" as in your know they are interchangeable?