1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

vm or cv?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassistwsp, May 19, 2011.

1. Bassistwsp

Bassistwsp

Mar 7, 2011
    Not sure which to get a vintage modified jazz or a classic vibe any horror stories for either?

2. Wasn't this posted just last week?:eyebrow:

3. Bassistwsp

Bassistwsp

Mar 7, 2011
    Sorry didn't realise

4. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Can you try them both side by side? That is the best way to decide.

5. Bassistwsp

Bassistwsp

Mar 7, 2011
    Not side by side no I'm afraid, both individually and I quite liked the vm but just wondered if the qc was good enough on that in comparison

6. All I can tell you is the QC on my VM Jazz was excellent, and about 95% of all reports I've read say the same. Same thing goes for the CV (although I haven't tried one of those). Either one would be good. Just get the one that apeals to you the most, aesthetically speaking. If you get it online, get it at a reputable online store (Musician's Friend or Sweetwater) that has a good returns policy, just in case you don' like it.

7. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Conversely I have played lemons of both. So as the other posters say, they all warrant a test drive.

8. True enough. I was lucky when I got my two VM's (as well as my other three instruments) online, I got a great instrument each time. I would have liked to have played them first, but I was not able to, so I had to rely on thorough research, and get them from online stores with good returns policies. Fortunately, I didn't need to avail myself of those policies.

9. If it were up to me I would pick the VM because I prefer the tone and how the bass feels/plays.

10. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I spent a day a few months ago trying them all out at the local Guitar Center, and I found I liked different models from the 2 series for different reasons.

I preferred the CV P to the VM P because it was mellower sounding, had a comfy fretboard, beautiful vintage look, etc. I felt the duncan designed P pups were a tad too aggressive.

I preferred the VM J over the CV J because the pups were brighter and crisper. The CV J sounded kind of weak and thin (maybe the HM bridge helped with that).

And I own the VM TB right now, which I like so far. It's obviously a very different beast from the CV Telecaster Bass, so there's no comparison.

My conclusion: since both series have better than average fitting and stock parts, and very different looks, it's really a case by case thing.