Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vocal amplification?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Figjam, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lets say i have a vocal mic... and cable. What is the cheap way to make vocals loud enough just to practice with a drummer/guitarist/bassist. Like buying a few hundred dollar PA system isnt a choice, is tehre some type of cable-converter thing that would allow me to into a regular stereo with speakers..or some kind of guitar amp? Anything?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Eh, it sounds fine through a guitar amp...

That and well, if worst came to wrost and didnt wanna use my PA, I've got a karaoke machine here with 2 1/4" inputs, lol.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    how would i connect mic to guitar amp? what kind of cable, the mic needs a male end of that 3 prong thing.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You can get an impedance transformer for that, going from Male XLR (the three prong dealie) to 1/4", which you can plug straight into a guitar or bass amp. You can pick them up in the Pro Sound section of your local Sam Ash/Guitar Center/Music Store.

edit: Like this!

5. Does your stereo have a cassette deck? Many of them have a 1/4 inch mic input. So stick a tape in the tape deck, put it on "record-pause", and sing through the stereo.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my stereo doesnt have a cassete deck but it does have a 1/4 inch mic input on it.

How loud would vocals be coming out of a small guitar combo, like a 30 watt 12" ?

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If I had to guess, I would have to say about as loud as a guitar going through a 30 watt amp with a 12" speaker.

8. It's not going to be as loud, but it'll work. My band normally plays pretty soft and we used a 15 watt Crate amp to get vocals out there. We could practice with that for like a drummer-uses-brushes type loudness no problem.

When you don't got gear, you gotta work with it.

9. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I use a behringer 60 watt combo amp for the vocals in my band. It isn't nearly loud enough for us though. I have a peavey 450 watt half stack and my guitarist has a line 6 2x12. The vocals are pretty loud, but it isn't enough to really cut through and be heard with all the other gear. We use a regular mic and use a converter thing to plug it in.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Okay we'll have to try the guitar amp thing. What type of cable would i need? Im guessing something to convert it to 1/4 "?

11. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure why... but that has to be the funniest thing I read all day...

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is what you need to do. Unless you have a condenser mike...then you'll have to worry about phantom power.

13. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    you NEVER want to do this. You will ruin the guitar amp if you do it enough. A standard guitar amp will also not make your vocals sound any good, as teh speakers are not rated to amplify the frequencies of a vocal mic (sm-57/58 for example) properly. Same thing goes with playing ur bass though a guitar amp....

also, a guitar amp cannot make your vocals loud enough to be heard over your band, unless you are an acoustic combo or somehting of that nature.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ALright so if i got the converter cable..and plugged into the Mic input of an old stereo with 2 speaker cabs attached.. should work?

15. Have you try using a bass amp? My singer use my old 100 Traynor bass combo...and it work okey...doesn't sounds amazing..but it does its job.

16. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    just a stupid question, but why are you NOT buying a PA. If money is an issue, fender makes one of tehose combo p[ortable PA's for only a few hundred...but you really shoudl go spend a good 2k on a PA. just my 2 cents

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A good PA can be had pretty cheap. No reason not to buy one. But if worst comes to worst, buy an old guitar amp or bass amp and use it ONLY for vocals. Sounds like poo kinda, but it's better than ruining your good gear.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lol if you were 16, broke, you would laugh at that statement also. As a band, we're bone dry on cash.