Vocal Auto tuner

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Si-bob, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Hi, not very bass orientated but i'll put it out there.
    Does anyone know of any fairly cheap vocal auto tuner (like those used on records by Daft Punk the one song by cher) avialable in the UK.

its for live use!
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    hmm no, but I know there is a plug in for it. I don't even know thats name or where to get it from.

I would also like to know if there is a live one, and also what the plugin is called.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - quite often these things are done with 'plug-ins' to digital recording packages like Pro Tools.

So a studio will buy a Pro Tools package and get stuff like this thrown into the deal.
  4. Antares Auto-Tune is the most common plugin.

The ATR-1a is their hardware piece:

But any decent voice processor probably has something like this built in.

Or you could just find someone that actually knows how to sing.
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I kind of like the way the effect sounds. It is intresting. It is good for electronic music and dance music. It gives a electronic edge to teh vox.
  6. MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Antares auto tune is a very awesome plug in for recording. Basically the deal with it is: it makes good singers better, and great singers perfect. You have to be very close to the pitch for it to hold the voice on key, otherwise it sounds very bad.

It is famous for that "Cher" effect too, where they picked the wrong key (or some other jacked settings) for her vocal part, so the autotune is in a constant struggle for her pitch. This also creates that 'electronic' sound that you like.

It is available in a rackmout version for live use, or as a plug in, both around the $200-400 range.
  7. we have a good singer, and we're doing live dance/electronica music, so we wanted to get a vocal tumer/processor for a couple of songs to get a more robotic/mechanical sound (ala daft punk)
    cheers for the suggestions

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I once did sound for a well know Australian singer/songwriter. He turned up with an SKB rack that contained among other things a live Auto-tune device. I don't remember the model number but it was made by T.C Electronics, was one rack space high, and performed flawlessly. I even used the headphones to solo the vocal chanel and listen closely. I couldn't hear it clicking in at all.