Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vocal effects/processers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casey C., Sep 4, 2003.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    my singer isn't too satisfied with his sound, what can we get that will enhance his voice?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can you give us more info. What specifically does his voice need to get it happening. What's wrong with the way it sounds now?

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well, we can't really figure that out. I think it needs to be clearer and more powerful. All around, it doesn't blend well with the music. We try to turn him up but then it feeds back alot

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sounds to me like your money is best spend on 2 things.

1) singing lessons. See if your singer can learn to breath better and project his voice better. Sounds to me like he's lacking a bit of power and projection. And by that I don't mean he should yell into the mic. I've seen singers yell and scream and still have no projection. I've seen other singers who don't yell at all but project their voices like a cannon with lungs........

If he just can't match it with you guys, turn everything down. Come down to his volume.

2) A graphic equaliser. It will help with 2 things. Firstly you can use it to cut frequencies that are feeding back. Basicall whenever you hear feedback, stop everything, carefully/slowly, raise the EQ sliders until you find which one is feeding. Be ready to pull it back down as quickly as you can - I can't stress this enough, because feedback by it's nature swells and gets louder and louder very quickly and you could blow something if you're not quick enough. Once you've found the culprit, cut it on the EQ.

Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier to recognise the frequencies when they feed, so the whole process becomes less time consuming.

The second use for the equaliser is to use the non-feeding frequencies to shape the sound of his voice.