1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vocal/Pitch recognition software?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hello TBers,

So, I'm looking for a piece of software that will play a note, I sing along to it, and it shows me on the screen if I'm on or not (kind of like what the game Rockband shows the singer), and then maybe plays another note (interval) and I have to match it, and it shows me if I did or not. I'd prefer pitches over songs though.

I've spent the last hour or so looking for some software that does this but can't seem to find any. I had Singing Coach, which was great, but before I could get too far into it, my laptop died and I had to get a new one, but Signing Coach isn't compatible with anything newer than Windows XP. I downloaded Canta and it did work, but doesn't seem to want to anymore.

Really my issue is this, I can't sing worth a damn, not that I want to, but I believe in order to do ear training successfully, I must be able to successfully sing the pitches and intervals.

If anyone knows of any software, that would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

2. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I've got a tuner app. on my PC at home (I'm not there right now, so I don't know the name) that displays the fundamental note of whatever comes in on the mic. jack. It doesn't work any better than any other tuner, with a mic. plugged in. I think that's largely because of all the harmonic overtones in a human voice, plus it's a lot harder than most people realize to hold a constant pitch.

3. Oh, I know, it was very difficult (nearly impossible) to hold a constant pitch through Singing Coach. I started really picking it up though and now I'm lost.

Kinda annoys me, I only did for about a week, saw a HUGE improvement and then the computer died, finally got one and now the thing won't install. It looks like I may have to pull out my keyboard and tuner though... I just hated doing that, and I don't believe that it's totally accurate due to the overtones and stuff that you mentioned.

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    "Perfect Pitch Musical Instrument Tuner" is what I have on my PC. I got it on the net for free:

Guitar Tuning Software - Professional Guitar Tuner Download

Other than that, no particular endorsement. I really don't use it much. When I practice through the PC, I adjust tuning per whatever I'm playing with but mostly don't worry if I'm a little off. When I'm with a band I use my pedal tuner (Korg Pitchblack, which works a LOT better).

5. Thanks John,

it's not quite what I'm looking for, but I do appreciate the suggestion.

I actually found a program on a website called miles.be, that has a functional ear training program, and it's a bit different from the normal interval training I'm used to and it doesn't seem to require me to sing-along to it at the moment. I could be wrong, but I think I'll just work on that for the next little bit and see if that helps. Thanks again though.