Vocal Practice Time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SacRush, Jan 2, 2020.

1. SacRush

SacRush Supporting Member

Good morning and Happy New Year!

I have an audition to be an LS for a dad-metal-band. I haven't sung in a while (except in the shower etc.) and it got me thinking about how much I missed it. I sang in choir, church and even fronted my own band for a short while in HS. Regardless of the outcome of the audition, I think I am going to start taking vocal lessons again. So my question to all the non-LS, how much time (apart from rehearsal) do you spend working on your voice? There are plenty of singing TB'ers out there!

2. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    I'm a terrible singer, but I love to do it. I think I spend about a quarter of my practice time singing. I don't sing in isolation though, it's always while playing; even when doing voice exercises, I try to have something happening on the bass at the same time. Good luck on the audition!

3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't have a great voice, but can provide some passable backing vocals in some situations. When I'm prepping backing vox, I'll load the songs I'm working on in my phone (in the key we're doing them in) and play them in a loop while taking walks and will sing along as much as I can (when no one else is within earshot!). Even commuting on the train I'll loop these in my ears and just listen, listen, listen. I find this helps a lot and can focus more on my bass practice while at home. After I'm comfortable on the vocal lines, I'll start running them while playing.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021