Vocal Range

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bushfire, Jan 21, 2006.

1. I was trying to get my vocal range today with my keyboard. If you go to the C two octaves below middle C, well my voices starts on the E just above that and reaches to (average day) the C above it (good day) the D (Great day) the F above that. But usually just E->C. Is this good bad or indifferent? Is there any way to extended this?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You can't really improve your vocal range, but you can improve your voice to get those fringe notes to sound better, which sorta improves your workable range. Don't worry if you don't have the range you think you need, it's kinda like playing a 4 string bass when there are 11 string basses out there. The music doesn't care. There are only 12 notes..etc.
  3. But, I don't have all twelve notes! that's gotta be bad?
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh... I thought you meant from 2 Es below to 1 C above middle C :meh:

Well... shoot. I dunno what to tell you. Maybe your range is just unrealized?
  5. You can learn to sing higher notes but not lower.
  6. chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    Get thee to a voice coach! Voice is an instrument like any other, and it needs training to reach anywhere close to its potential. I bet you have a lot more range than you think, once you learn how to support it properly.

good luck!
  7. I've found that vocal range is something that can't be improved on your own (at least not easily). I've had the exact same voice since 9th grade. I have roughly the same range as Eric Clapton. I can sing any Clapton tune spot-on but that's about it, and I don't think that's gonna be changing any time soon.

Are you a singer? I mean, do you need to improve it or are you just messing around with it?
  8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    It's like anything else, it just takes some work. I actually gained an octave over the course of one year when I was singing harmony to a guy with a decent range. I'm not saying you should strain yourself, but it is possible to add some range.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  9. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If you have a strong falsetto, that can help also.
  10. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    You are within the normal Baritone vocal range. With regular and proper practice you should be able to reach the F note above the middle C note on a consistent basis, as well as develop better control over your vocal mechanism.
  11. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    T-Funk and chasfr are right.

A lot of people know how to use only the chest voice. That's why you aren't going very high. You have a lot more range, you just don't know how to do it.
  12. Well, I just started an acoustic duo with my friend. I think he will end up doing most of the lead, despite the fact that I write most of the songs, because he has a larger range and better voice. So yes, it would be nice to improve, and very helpful.

But how? I'd go to a vocal coach, but I don't know any in the area, and besides which, I'm broke.

That high!? I hope you are indeed correct.( I am looking at the ranges here, and the E I can hit looks like the first note in the bass range rather than baritone, am I missing something?) But what kind of practice? The kind of stuff in the bassist's guide to singing thread? What else?

Any knowledge you guys can impart would be great!

Thank you,
  13. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    The vocal ranged you were looking at are just approximations of what most baritone's average range is. It's the same for basses, sopranos, etc. Each voice is unique and has strengths and weaknesses. You may have a few extra low notes that come very easy for you. Or, you may have a naturally low voice and be a bass.

What's probably happening is that you're not breathing properly to support your voice in your range above speaking "pitch" (which is around E1 or F1 for most men). There are some ways you can learn to do this, most of which revolve around isolating your diaphragm muscle and using it and your abdominal muscles to breathe instead of your shoulders. A voice teacher is your best way of learning to do this properly. If you have a good ear you might be able to teach yourself a few things by just singing along to songs you feel comfortable singing. That's kindof how I learned to sing before I went to college and took some bona fide voice lessons. Eagles stuff worked for me (Glenn Fry tunes particularly) but almost any singer that doesn't push any of the extremes (Prince, Stevie Wonder, or that guy from Crash Test Dummies) should be approachable.
  14. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Also, just so I'm sure it get's said, T-Funk, you're avatar creeps me out. :bag:
  15. Also, even when you can use your head voice well, going between the two is a very tricky balancing act.
  16. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
  17. All I am doing at the moment is to go through my song collection, and see what songs are comfortable for me to sing, so I can get an idea of what I am working with.

But what is really strange is that I can hit the C one above middle C,but nothing else even approaching that range.