1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vocalist auditions - this is SO much fun....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ron Plichta, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I placed a CL ad and did a little networking a week or so ago and got about 10 inquiries. We've auditioned one and have three more scheduled. The "interesting" part is that the oldest one is probably just nudging 30 and our ages range from 41- 58. I sent them our website so they could see our faces and gave them the song list, but they want to come out anyway. I wonder how they feel being onstage with guys old enough to be their dads?

I was somehow hoping some older women who wanted to get back into singing after dealing with other life events would have applied. No such luck.

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Is your setlist tailored more for a woman singer?

3. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    It's a mix. There are some chick tunes on there (stuff from No Doubt, Katy Perry, Pink, etc.), but most of it is guy stuff that a woman could pull off. Our last singer did most of the stuff.

4. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Never underestimate the power of a young hottie with a nice voice fronting your band.

In my late 30's we had an 18 year old singer who could belt it, totally awesome!

5. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I hear what you're saying Muzoid, but I jsut feel a little dirty having a lady who could be my daughter singing.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    This just goes to show that agism can run both ways.

7. Why? You're playing, she is singing. Unless the drool is apparent, I don't understand the issue myself? :D

(And to qualify that statement I have 3 daughters aged 11 and under).

8. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    I personally would love to front a band of older pro players...its tough playing with younger guys who don't understand how to play for the song, or still lack reserve in their playing.

9. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    That unfortunately is true to some extent. I think some genres are more open to a wide variety of ages (like bluegrass), but I suspect that there could be differences in life experiences, etc. that could make things "interesting".

On the good side, some of the auditionees look to be quite promising. One has a degree in music and a solo acoustic act. The other is just graduating from college and has experience in bands and school choirs. If we can look past the age thing, this could be a potentially good move.

10. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I played bass in cover band from age 19-23 with bunch of guys in their 40's. I know bass isn't the same thing as lead vocals, but I thought it went very well. I was honored to be asked to play with some serious musicians. A couple of these guys were putting their kids through school with our gigs. I never thought of it as, "geez what a bunch of dinosaurs" if that's what you're worried about. I looked at it as an opportunity to learn a lot from seasoned vets. And that's exactly what happened. Those years helped me formulate my style as a working musician and I still draw on the experience today (I'm in my thirties). I think if you can find a singer who can handle the work load and who has some maturity and stage presence, then the rest will work itself out. And who know's you and the band may have a lasting influence on this person's musical career the way my guys did for me.

11. Six people in our band. Four of us are 50's and even 60's the drummer is 34 and our singer (female) is 31.

Nothing weird about it.

(jazz, swing, blues band)

12. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    You guys make some good points. This is a bit of uncharted waters for me, since most bandmembers I've worked with are relatively close to my age. We've been discussing this and one guitarist mentioned that younger singers have friends who are ready to go out and drink; ie, instant following. And we don't want to be known as a classic rock band and want an infusion of new material. This could be a good thing for us.

13. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    A few years ago we had to find a keys player to sub for ours for a couple of gigs. The one we found was 21, we were all in our 50s. Shortly after this we kicked our long time keys player out and offered the sub the gig. He would willingly have taken it except that he had just been accepted into the Army Music Corps to play clarinet.

He had no problem playing with us just as we had no problem playing with him. He was a great kid and fitted in really well musically, far better than our regular player who was stuck in a timwarp.

14. I hate those timwarps.

15. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Good name for a band.

16. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    that doesn't make any sense. do all young co-workers make you uncomfortable?

17. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    My coworkers are all about my age.

18. I'm 52, and we just finished a round of lead vox auditions. Good luck finding someone who can still sing and has the time to be in a band at our age. If you find someone a little younger who can get it done, make them feel welcome and consider yourself lucky.

19. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    + 1

I'm 53 and we're auditioning lead vox as well. I'm the oldest, our youngest player is 34. Since we do 90's Alternative and some newer Alternative, we'll take anybody from 21 up and be happy to have them. I think a female lead would feel safer with us older folks than a hormone loaded 23-year-old anyway :)

20. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm starting to see you guys' points of view. It's good to know that I'm not alone in this situation.

We'll see how the auditions go.