vocalizer thingy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Billdog, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Okay, my brother has a dvd of Mr. Wooten stuff. I believe it is something like "Victor Wooten at Bassday 99ish". I forget what year it was though. Anyway, he plays with his brother Reggie and Oteil Burbridge in this particular video. I think it is on Norwegian Wood that he uses this effect. He seems to sing through his mike, but it's like the signal goes through his bass, because all you hear is the melody of the song, which he is playing on his bass. It seems like the instrument is being used to control the pitch of the otherwise unaltered vocal signal...? I think it may be the same thing Richie Sambora uses with Bon Jovi. Could somebody tell me what that thing is? Thanks.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a Talk Box.
    Dunlop make one, so do Danelectro.
  3. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Propellerhead Reason 2.5 is just coming out, and it has a Vocoder.....I can't wait to get mine. To bad I don't htink I can play my bass thru it.
  4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I was pretty psyched about getting one of those until I read that the compressed air that they use (the ones that use a tube, like the Danelectro and Banshee) can contribute to lung cancer! Seems like it couldn't be true, and I don't remember where I read it, so don't put 100% faith in that. But it scared me.

The one that Victor was using must be one that combines a microphone signal with the instrument signal, and doesn't use a tube. If you were going to get one, I suggest one of these. Digitech's Talker is like this, though I think they're discontinued. The effect is included in some of their multi-effects, not sure which (I think it's not in the BNX3 - lame).

The kind that Richie Sambora, Joe Walsh, and Peter Frampton use is the kind that uses a tube in your mouth (and may or may not cause lung cancer :eek: ).
  5. If I remember correctly, Vic is using a vocoder, not a talkbox on that DVD. I believe the song is "A Night in Tunisia."
  6. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Electrix Warp Factory
    Boss SE-50

Korg makes a few as well.
  7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics

Talker was in the GNX 2&3, but when the BNX3 came out, it was sorely lacking. Someone asked what the deal was, and they got that response. I didn't mean the BNX3 is lame, I meant the fact that the Talker wasn't in the BNX3 is lame. When you say "voice simulator" you may be thinking about some synth effects that Digitech includes in some multis that simulate vocal effects - that's not what the Talker effect was. But you probably already knew that.

I do like the BNX3, but I have spent very little time playing with one.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I thought it was a MIDI equipped bass and the thing he was blowing into was a MIDI breath controller.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    IME using a vocoder with a bass isn't gonna work so well. Unless you're using distortion.

I've found that sounds with lots of odd harmonics (e.g. saw-like waveforms, with that buzz/edge) work the best. For example, anything with distortion (this gives you the buzz) - and strings (violins etc. or string-section sounds), as well as synth sounds that have some of that buzz.

Smoother sounds, with less edge don't work so well - the words just aren't clear. They don't carry the vocal so well.

But, it'll depend on the vocoder - give it a try.