Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vocals through a bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by van15, Feb 17, 2003.

1. van15

van15

Feb 17, 2003
    My band is unable to buy a PA yet, and we're searching for a way to run vocals. I do have two bass rigs, and it seems to be loud enough and sound good enough for now to run vocals through the one that I'm not playing through. Now the question: would I be damaging either the head or the cab by doing this?

If it matters, here's my equipment:
    -Ampeg SVT3 Head
    -GK 400Rb head
    -Ampeg 410 SVT cab
    -GK cab with 4 12's and 2 10's

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You won't damage your gear, but the vocals may not sound their best.

3. Whenever we get together for strings only practice and don't have a PA available, I've run my headset mic through my practice amp (Ultrabass BX1200) and have never experienced problems. Although I sing deep bass, I believe higher pitched voices would sound fine as well. It's OK for practice, but the mix sounds better through a PA.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you need one of them there hi to low (i think) impedance switcher thingies...

they go from xlr to 1/4' ask at your local shop that sells PA gear, they should have them...

5. cthesick

cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK
    I wont trust it. I already fryed one bass amp doing it about two years ago and resently when my band auditioned a singer with out me (i was at work) we didn't have a pa for practicing so he started messing with everything and cranked out of a 2 12 combo guitar amp and my brand new studio monitors trying to be as loud as the drums. I came home 430 in the morning and saw immediatly what he had done. Well my vote was out. Can't stand morons who think they know something. But above all i cant stand people who use somebodies elses equipment for something else than what it was intended for.:mad:

well, it probably would work but I wouldnt risk it.

6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    The amp doesn't know what's going through it (bass or vocals) and with what you've got listed here, the vocals will, probably, sound fine. :) Don't put the mic's where you'll have feedback problems.

Good luck with your band!

RB

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, get an impedance switcher, and you should be alright. But remember, everything will work best when you use it for it's intended purpose, so just be careful

8. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like Van has already plugged the mic's in to try it out. If so, he's, possibly, already using high impedance mic's and no transformer will be needed. :)

Peace,
    RB

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Should be fine.... a tweetered bass cab will probably sound better simply because it'll reproduce sibilance.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ahhhh ...... you've bought the memories floating back. My first band used to run vocals AND my bass through a peavy combo with a 15" Scorpion speaker (no horn). We thought we sounded great, our mums knew better.

But we did that for years and the amp never developed any problems. And we weren't particularly careful either. Maybe we just got lucky :)

11. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Pete....the first time that I went to see Moby Grape at a local amusment park (Mountain Park--any of you MA. guys remember it?), their PA was a Bassman head and 2 bottoms.

We felt pretty good because ours was a similar Bassman head and ONE bottom. We started saving so that we could get another; we did. :D

RB