1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vocals too hot -any EQ/processing to fix?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mambo4, Sep 15, 2008.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I have a live stereo gig recording that sounds good except the vocals are much hotter than I'd Prefer for our mySpace page.

any tips on processing/EQing to de-emphasize vocals?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you have a parametric EQ, then you can dial a narrow bandwidth and a deep cut, and then sweep the frequency center until you have cut a big chunk out of the vocals. Then adjust it to a shallow cut, and adjust the bandwidth until the entire vocal range is under control.

3. If you can identify the frequencies that the vocals occupy and they aren't shared by too many of the other instruments, then you may be able to reduce them in the mix. You can lookup frequency ranges for the human voice and guitar and you'll see they like to live in many of the same bands, so you may be able to reduce the vocals, but the guitars and other instruments in that frequency range may also suffer.

There is software out there that will "remove" the vocals but my experience with such software is that it also tends to destroy the music that's left behind. BUT if you could find such software and it actually did remove the vocals (for the most part) without mutilating the rest of the music, then you could generate a 2-track recording with the "music only" track on one and the normal mix on the two which would allow you to back off the "vocals too hot" track while keeping the music track levels constant.