1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Voice activated prompts on the phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Aug 13, 2007.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

'K,

I'm callin' info to get a phone number of a business and rather than getting the 'operator', more & more I am encountering these voice prompted search services. The voice prompts always ask you to repeat things, they do not reason, I find them more frustrating than helpful.

I find them highly annoying and these automated voices give me more reason to avoid using certain services.

Does anyone else here find them to be annoying, frustrating and impossible to use as I do?

/ranting

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    My HMO expects me to have a long drawn out conversation with a computer that CALLS ME! Drives me nuts.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't answer them, the system generally assumes you have a rotary dial phone as opposed to a touch tone phone and routes you to a real operator.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Hate 'em!

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Fonejacker section where they have the automated voice messages for buying flats are pure genius.

6. Haha! As it happens I had a similar thought about this a while ago and drew a cartoon about it:

[​IMG]

My webcomic is at http://bernard.retrojunkies.co.uk
    It's not great, but it's a creative outlet and I enjoy doing it.

7. Customer Service has breathed its last.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Many phone have the buttons right on the handset instead of on a separate base. With these, you have to take the phone away from your ear to key in a response.

Many TT-driven menu systems, though, don't have a delay to allow you time to bring the phone back up to your ear.

"Thank you for calling ZYX Software. We welcome your business.

"If you know your party's 4-digit extension, you may dial it at any time. For sales, please press 1. For technical support, press 2."

I take the phone from my ear and press "2". I bring the phone back up to my ear.

"… press 1. Otherwise, press 2."

About ten seconds pass while I hope that the voice repeats the choices.

"I'm sorry, but we have not detected a response. Please enter your selection now."​

9. With both voice and the 'press #' voice prompts you can get by them about half the time by just mashing the 0, the default 'get me an operator' button,sometimes it works later down the line if not at the start.

10. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My old bank had one of these phone systems where you have to talk to the thing to answer prompts. Pressing buttons to answer was not even an option. Having a southern accent, like most everyone who is a customer at this bank, it was extremely frustrating to deal with. :mad:

I quickly found out that it would forward me to an operator if I screamed "speak to a person" as soon as it came on. So yeah, I hate the stupid things.

11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I have tested these to see if they recognize name calling , anger and four letter words .

none have recognized it yet , I'm waiting for one to tell me their gorrillas are being dispatched to woop my ass

12. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    I usually dont say anything and then the voice operator says something like "I'm sorry. I do not recognize your response" and I get patched to a real person.

Works most of the time...especially with the computer companies.

13. someone called me from one of those research hotlines today, but he hung up when i picked up the phone. i decided to call back to tell him to F off if hes gonna call and hang up, and i got one of these stupid voice systems. i chose the option to take my name off their call list, and then i had to leave them a message telling them my phone number. i proceded to do so, followed by the following. dont call my house and hang up. if you do it again, im going to stick my c--- through the phone and knock you all the f--- out.

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Just babble into the phone like Ozzy would, and they'll patch you through to a real human representative.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When you do, the voive is so annoyingly polite and there's little you can do.