1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

voice as an instrument

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Icarus26, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Hey guys, i wanted to post this in the general instruction section, but since this doesn't apply to bass, i didn't.

Anyways, a little background information. Before i got into playing bass, i used to rap. i would would rap over other well known instrumentals and writing a rap would be pretty easy. Have a point to make and make it rhyme (well that's what i was going for anyways).

That being said, today i tried something different, instead of rapping, i wanted to try singing over an instrumental. However, this turned out badly, i found out that it was nothing like rapping where the tones of the lines didn't vary at much (if at all).

For other forms of music, other than rap, the style is so different. R&B & rock, the lines of the song just seem different. The length & the range, all that good stuff. It's a complete mystery to me. I'm really interested and would like to compose & sing songs, so do you think i should get a vocal coach(singing lessons, if thats the same thing?)? What else would help me write songs?

Question 2: Do you think the majority of vocalists, genre disregarded, have had a vocal coach? It's something i never thought about before and i'd like to know what other people think.

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Rap is easy for you because you listened to it for ears until it became a second nature. Same process with any style, and yes, coaching if you can afford it...

3. Well some people have it, some people dont.
    Some people are masters in one genre and suck to others.
    some people have coaches, some dont. ;p

As for voice as an instrument check out Obituary "Turned inside out", google the lyrics too, you wont understand a word. haha... but he is a death metal legend! Do you imagine him having a coach or trying to sing a melodic pop song? :D