1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Voicing comparison: GK 700rb/GK 1001rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Mark II versions.

Are they basically the same as far as voicing goes? And only differing in terms of power?

I'm looking at getting a 700rb or a 1001rb if the price is right and just wanted to know this little fact.

Thanks!

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I was never impressed with any GK until I tried the 1001. It seems, and people have said, that only the power is different, but I would stick to the 1001. The thump of the 1001 is great, and I think that this is due to the power section in a big way. The price difference is only between $100 and $150 and I think you will find that money to be well worth it. Good luck.

3. They are the same voicing. I was going to buy the 700rbII but I found the 1001rbII for $100 more. I decided that 300w of additional headroom was worth the extra ducats, so I went for it.
    C7

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    the additional power will certainly give you a more solid feeling low end.

fwiw, there is a noticeable difference in the voicing between the aforementioned and the 2001RBII - i like the power of the 2001, but the voicing of the others better. i've found the input gain to get overly distorted on the 2001 after about 10-11 o'clock and i prefer the cleaner voicing of the 700/1001 because there is more flixibility with the input gain and you can dial in pleny of grind with the boost control.

JR

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Same preamp. Different poweramp.

That is all.

6. arbitrary

arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've noticed that the gk sound has a lot more to do with their poweramp than previously expected.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The GK power amps I have tested are basically high fidelity -- flat and clean with well behaved clipping.

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I have to agree with this, at least in regards to the sound from a 700rb via the effects return. A very noticeable voicing.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Great. Thanks guys.

Now, does the 400rb even compare? Could I do a medium/loud volume wedding gig on a 400rb?

Thanks.

10. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    That's going to depend on what cabs you have. I had a 400rb 210 combo with a gk 210 underneath it and found it went surprisingly loud. Plenty loud for a wedding gig imo.

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Agreed - the "boost" feature makes all the difference in the GK tone. I doubr any other poweramp can get you that true GK growl if you're only using a GK preamp (like the 2001RBP).

12. arbitrary

arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Its interesting that you mentioned that.
    I just recently picked up a 2001rbp and am pairing it w/ a ca9. It sounds different that a straight gk head (pre and power amp). Much more than I expected.

After a/b-ing the 2001rbp, an svt-cl and an svt-pro w/the ca9 I still prefer the 2001rbp, but it doesn't sound 100% GK. I would place it around the range of 50/50 maybe contributing a little less to the pre and more to the power. It still def. sounds like a gk though.

I've found w/ the SS ampegs, most of the tone comes from the pre section, and I really don't like their power sections at all.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I highly recommend the 1001rb II. I used the first 1001rb for a few years (among a number of other heads - see my profile), and have now been running a 1001rb II for a couple of years. If you like the GK sound, you can't go wrong.
    :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021