Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Voivod Fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anybody?

I figure at least the Canadian TBers gotta give it up for 'em. I first got into them about two years ago. I bought their CD "The Outer Limits" at a CD warehouse without knowing anything about them. Why?

- I liked the artwork
    - It was cheap ($3.99, because noone around here knows them)
    - It came with 3D glasses.

Yep, like the old movie style 3-D glasses. It doesn't really sync up with all the artwork on the album, but it was enough to get me to buy it.

First couple of listens, I just thought it was OK. Around listen number five... it all clicked. This is pretty much the ideal of the music I'm looking to create. Floaty atmospheric guitar that can be heavy at the same time, and an absolutely fantastic drummer. The vocalist Snake really grew on me too.

Not knowing the history of the band that much, I listened to some more of their stuff. Earlier stuff is a tad too generic for me, and I bought Lives a little bit ago, and was weirded out by the vocal change. Eric Forrest took over bass/vocal duties. Meh, I'm not too found of his vocal style, he's an OK bassist though. Denis d'Amour and Michel Langevin are amazing live though. In this line up, they are definatly what I'd call a Power Trio. It doesn't sound empty at all.

I haven't listened to the newish self titled one yet, but I'm going to have to, Snake sang on it right?

Also, for more die hard fans, how did the names Snake and Piggy come along. I guess Denis is the chubby faced one of the gang. :)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, people unfamiliar with their work, check it out! I've heard Tool described as a "Heavy Pink Floyd."

B.S.

It makes sense for Voivod. They even covered Astronomy Donomie (sp?) and The Nile Song.

Floaty, Heavy, Cool.

3. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Voivod's Nothingface is one of my favorite albums. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the rest of their albums. Our old drummer liked "Dimensional Hatross" and Nothingface but I don't think he was too keen on the rest of them either.

4. Jason Newstead helped revive them a bit, and was playing bass for them and ozzy at the same time for a while, i don't know if he still is.

5. Not a huge fan, but I like them. I caught them live here in Ottawa probably 2-ish years ago and they actually disapointed me quite a bit. All that atmosphere just resulted in a terrible live sound.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Killing Technology is my favorite. Experimental Metal.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I've got the same thoughts on the Eric on vocal's stuff, it's just OK. Snake's voice is unique and helps create that Voivod sound. I'll have to look into the self titled one and more of the Snake stuff.

Did Snake do War and Pain or Rooaaaaaaaaaar or whatever it's called. Because I remeber those being straight up thrash and it's hard to picture him doing that style. I didn't really like them as a straight thrash band, it sounded like "Meh, we are just another band trying to do the Slayer thing." But then when they added their prog elements to the mix, it just became this amazing heavy/floaty thing.

I really like "The Bridge" and "Lost Machine" off Outer Limits. And Snake's track was probably the best off of Probot. Really catchy and heavy at the same time.

I now consider Denis d'Amour to be my biggest influence guitar wise.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like Voivod a lot. I have Nothingface, Angel Rat and The Outer Limits.

9. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Exactly. Something about that album is magic. The rest I can leave in the cut-out bin.

That reminds me, I lost my copy somewhere, need to find that again...

Troll

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Any idea on his setup Smash?