Vol, Blend and Tone Pot question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Jan 12, 2006.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    For a J/MM pup combo (j being single coil) do I use a 500k vol pot and 500K blend?
    And should I use a 250k for the tone pot?

2. It depends on woods, strings and personal preference. The J calls for a 500k blend, 250k vol, 250k tone, but the MM is generally meant to go with an active pre where it only sees the load of the 500k blend pot. I guess a good compromise would be 500/500/500, and if that makes the J too bright, try 500/250/500 (the loading and overall tone is the same with 250k vol + 500k tone or 500k vol + 250k tone, but I prefer the former because usually 250k pots have a smoother taper).

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Okay, so you're suggesting: vol 250k/blend 500k/tone 250k.
    I want this to be passive, and there will be an on/on/on switch for the mm (series/split/parrellel).
    I like a "mellow" sounding bass, not too bright.

4. Then yes, that combination will be just right for the J and make the MM warmer than in an active setup.

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Cool.
    Thank you very much.

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Dude, I swear we're making the same bass. :eek:

7. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    LOL:D
    What body style do you have?
    I have a 77 Fender Jazz ash body that I butchered years ago before I realized what I had.:( Hey, It was the 80's man.
    I'm in the process of a refin right now. I tried to paint it years ago before I had a clue to what I was doing.
    The finish is off, but I kind of have to wait a bit to oil it up...thinking of getting a very dark danish oil finish. The dark finish is needed cause the grain in the wood still shows the dark paint I tried to use. Not to mention the 80's style burn marks to make it look cool.
    Ah, youth.
    Wish I still had the original neck maple mother of pearl block neck, another stupid mistake. I have an ESP neck that feels real sweet, just not a pretty.
    Oh, and it has a Kahler vibrato :bassist:

This was my main bass for years, so I'm really looking forwar to getting it up and running.

When it's finally done, I plan on posting some pics.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    ah, that makes me feel better then. Only our p'ups/electronics will be the same. :D
    I have a custom body from a brazillian luthier, I think it's mahogony but that's speculation on my part. The neck is off an old washburn axxess xs-6. Standard bridge, no crazy vibrato stuff for me thanks. :ninja:

I have a thread on it in the luthier forum, titled frankenbass project. pictures and all. here's the link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221621

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Bass looks nice to start, bet it's gonna look sweet when you're done.
    Good Luck!!:bassist: