Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vol, Blend and Tone Pot question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Jan 12, 2006.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    For a J/MM pup combo (j being single coil) do I use a 500k vol pot and 500K blend?
    And should I use a 250k for the tone pot?

2. It depends on woods, strings and personal preference. The J calls for a 500k blend, 250k vol, 250k tone, but the MM is generally meant to go with an active pre where it only sees the load of the 500k blend pot. I guess a good compromise would be 500/500/500, and if that makes the J too bright, try 500/250/500 (the loading and overall tone is the same with 250k vol + 500k tone or 500k vol + 250k tone, but I prefer the former because usually 250k pots have a smoother taper).

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Okay, so you're suggesting: vol 250k/blend 500k/tone 250k.
    I want this to be passive, and there will be an on/on/on switch for the mm (series/split/parrellel).
    I like a "mellow" sounding bass, not too bright.

4. Then yes, that combination will be just right for the J and make the MM warmer than in an active setup.

5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Cool.
    Thank you very much.

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Dude, I swear we're making the same bass. :eek:

7. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    LOL:D
    What body style do you have?
    I have a 77 Fender Jazz ash body that I butchered years ago before I realized what I had.:( Hey, It was the 80's man.
    I'm in the process of a refin right now. I tried to paint it years ago before I had a clue to what I was doing.
    The finish is off, but I kind of have to wait a bit to oil it up...thinking of getting a very dark danish oil finish. The dark finish is needed cause the grain in the wood still shows the dark paint I tried to use. Not to mention the 80's style burn marks to make it look cool.
    Ah, youth.
    Wish I still had the original neck maple mother of pearl block neck, another stupid mistake. I have an ESP neck that feels real sweet, just not a pretty.
    Oh, and it has a Kahler vibrato :bassist:

This was my main bass for years, so I'm really looking forwar to getting it up and running.

When it's finally done, I plan on posting some pics.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    ah, that makes me feel better then. Only our p'ups/electronics will be the same. :D
    I have a custom body from a brazillian luthier, I think it's mahogony but that's speculation on my part. The neck is off an old washburn axxess xs-6. Standard bridge, no crazy vibrato stuff for me thanks. :ninja:

I have a thread on it in the luthier forum, titled frankenbass project. pictures and all. here's the link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221621

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Bass looks nice to start, bet it's gonna look sweet when you're done.
    Good Luck!!:bassist: