Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vol knob makes noise!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dadodetres, Oct 5, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi!

i noticed that in my new (but used) Lakland 4-94 the volume knob makes noise when turning it.

the problem is that im uising a looper to play solo live, and i cant afford those noises getting in the looper. and i use a lot the vol knob.

is there a way of "cleaning" the knob? or i need to replace it?
    i have a gig on the 20th so i have to fix the problem before.
    i was thinking of borrowing a volumen pedal if i dont have the problem fixed.....

so what can i do to solve it?

thancks!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You might be able to find some spray in cleaner that will remove the dirt and stuff. It's called TV tuner and contact cleaner.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You could probably replace the pot in about twenty minutes if the cleaner does not work.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    how do i find out what pot do i need?

and which other options of pots do i have?

5. WD-40 - cheap, and great for nearly everything.... :cool:

6. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    . . . . . Except for electronics! WD-40 will leave a greasy, insulating slag that will f- the pot up more than it was to start with. WD-40 is a penetrant and lubricant, NOT a contact cleaner . . . . . . To clean pots without more damage, you need to get the right stuff. A proper contact cleaner should leave little to no residue of any sort . . . . . .

- Tim

7. It's probably just a scratchy pot, just turn it vigorously for a bit until you dislodge all the contaminants. If not, new pot, its rating should be on the bottom of it.

Marty.

8. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I'd suggest you open up the bass/take off the pickguard and check the pot to buy a replacement. There are two pieces of important information, the rating and the taper type. Rating will probably be 250kohms or 500kohms. Taper type is linear or logrithmic, but I can tell you now unless someone screwed up your bass the taper is logrithmic.

You'll need a soldering iron and some solder, and possibly some desoldering braid but I hear nothing but bad things about how useless it is. If you've never soldered before you may be better off finding someone else to do it, but it isn't that complex. Google should have some good resources on how to solder.

Make sure you don't solder for too long or you could ruin your pickups, but any other mistakes you make will be easily repairable.

9. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's only useless if you don't know how to use it.
    But you are right in one respect, if you do not know
    what you are doing, get somebody who does.

10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Worst advice I have ever heard.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, i got contact cleaner, where shoul i use it exactly?

thancks!

12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Use the extension nozzle, and spray some into the little openings on the rear of the pot. Short burst. Then quickly start rotating the shaft from lock to lock.

Cover the bass with a cloth. That stuff can get all over the place.