Volkan Orhon and the U

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Shmelbee, May 4, 2005.

1. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hey everyone..

what are your thoughts about Volkan Orhon and his bass program at the U of Iowa? I'm thinkin of going there...
  2. Volkan is an astonishing player and a real gentleman. I believe he would be a wonderful teacher. And Iowa City is a pretty cool town. Volkan teaches at Kinhaven in Weston Vermont in the summertime. Maybe you could study with him there and really check him out.
  3. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    thanks, although i think i couldnt study at vermont with him...im going to karr kamp, and i live in south dakota :D
  4. prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    I'd seriously consder northwestern given your soloist aspirations.. someone BIG is going to be teaching there next year.
  5. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    who? is northwestern expensive? I'd like an orchestra gig, i suppose my soloist thread was misleading? sorry about that :rolleyes:
  6. prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    young chinese guy.. recently played a recital to critical acclaim at the kennedy center.

I only know Mr. Orhans' playing in passing, and he seems like a really good soloist - I've never heard anything about his orchestral work.

For an orchestral career, I think you would be well served to also apply to places like IU or Rice. One of the most important things you'll find as a student, is that your teacher should be available to you beyond that 1 hour a week.

There's been lots written on this here.
  7. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD

the schools ive been looking at so far are: IU, U of Minnesota, Michigan State, Eau Claire in Wisconsin in case Jazz becomes my thing (which it very well might), and U of Iowa. I also checked out U of Nebraska-Lincoln just in case nobody else wants me. I would like a teacher to be there more than that one hour a week (seeing is how my current teacher just became really grumpy the last couple of months because hes going back to south africa, and whenever i need to talk to him, hes all stand-offish and things like that, which is not very cool at all).
  8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Prelims, that's a pretty interesting tip. Is your information about our friend reliable?

Most people who have taught bass at Northwestern's music school have been in the Chicago Symphony. I wonder if he'll take a shot at the next opening?
  9. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
  10. I have studied with volkan at kinhaven, he is a monster orchestral and soloist. He is an amazing teacher, but I suggest you go and have a lesson with him to see what he is like. He offers a free lesson, so it wouldn't be a bad idea.

11. Michigan State is great for both jazz and classical. I graduated from there last Spring. I only studied classical with Mr. Budrow but there are a few people that study with both Rodney Whitaker and Mr. Budrow. Both bass departments are excellent.
  12. I also wanted to say that Mr. Budrow is usually at MSU for about three days at a time and he always responds quickly to e-mails so he is very accessable and very friendly.
  13. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Mr Budrow is all that, and more, he is kiind hearted, a gentleman, but firm when he needs to be, etc....
  14. AHHH:bawl: when you said 'the U' I thought you meant "THE 'U", you know MIAMI (florida)
  15. mostbass

Apr 20, 2005
    Denver CO 8020
    Hi All

I'm responding to this thread because Eau Claire was mentioned.

I'll be performing in Eau Claire on Tuesday and Wednesday Nov.28 and29
    and am desperatly in need of a double bass to rent (the travel bass I'm having made will not be ready) if any one out the in or near Eau Claire Wis. can help me it would be a life saver

16. When you say "the U", "Da U", or anything similar to that people think the University of Miami.
  17. c44dashbass

Aug 13, 2006
    Really? I never think of the University of Miami.
  18. BigsteeZ

Oct 25, 2006
    volkan orhan is an amazing teacher and performer. he plays tons of solo concerts everywhere and he has orchestra chops also. he recently had a trial as principal of detroit and played acouple concerts with them including beethoven 9. he ended up not taking the job but he still has the whole orchestral technique and experience thing completely down. he is seriously an incredibly experienced and amazing performer, he plays a lot. his teaching is incredibly good. he taught me about 3 or 4 years ago, and i recently had a lesson with him and he's improved his teaching a lot. it was already sufficiently good, but now he's really becoming a great teacher. he's able to use all his performing experience and personal ability to clearly explain things. he was very impressive and really helped me. he did take with gary karr, but he is not one of those slow bow extremists. his playing is balanced and universal sounding. and on top of it all he's a nice guy, always makes you feel comfortable. i can't say the rest of the u of iowa music program is at his level, esp. the orchestral program although i am not as familiar with it as i used to be, but volkan is definetly worth looking into as a professor.
  19. kid_squanto

May 5, 2006
    volkan is definetely a great teacher/guy/performer. I was very impressed when I went there for a masterclass/orchestra comp. The only thing I would be wary of is the level of the bass school. From what I remember there weren't many players there IMO and I've heard that the ability/motivation isn't at a very high level. Although, it may have changed in the passed couple of years.
  20. I suppose your not with the sports world. Or more specific college football.

Da U is Miami (Florida)