1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Voltage Aguilar DB750 or Ampeg Classic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassmanDk, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Hi
    Im about to buy either a Aguilar DB750 or a Ampeg classic.
    I live in Europe with 220 to 240 volt.
    But the amps are made for the american market with 110 volt.
    I know i can get a externel transformer but i want them converted to 220 v.
    In a test on the Aggie it says that it's just a minor mod best done by a repairman. But other states that it's really expensive. What gives? Anyone know?
    The Ampeg its the same story.
    Plz help.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Email the manufacturers and ask them as they'll know best.

Some amps have mains transformers with two primary windings; put them in series for 240V and in parallel for 120V. Somethimes it's as easy as switching this on the outside of the amp, or a simple internal mod that a tech can safely make. Some manufacturers only make amps with one type of mains transformer, so you need the correct type depending on where you live. If this is the case, then you either need an external step down transformer or to buy a new one for inside the amp and have it changed. This can be expensive.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The SVT DOES have the ability to be re-wired for 240 internally. No external transformers required, no extra parts, same transformers are used.

However, there are TWO power transformers to change, AND the fan has to be re-connected, because it is 120 only. One transformer supplies that 120V across half the primary.

So it is best done by a technician who understands the system.