1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Voltage switchable amp heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 127.0.0.1, Mar 25, 2006.

1. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Is there any heads that are switchable from 110v to 220v? I already know that Thunderfunk can be switched from 100-120-220-240volts. Anything else?

2. Eden.

3. orenc

orenc

Aug 21, 2003
    Israel
    Genz Benz, Hartke (Model 2000 and 3500), GK (700RB-II and 400RB-IV), Ashdown (probably) and the older SWR pro series (Studio 220, SM-400 etc.).

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    not amps but Alembic F-1X preamps can, as can Demeter VTBP201 and the HBP. EA iAMP800 can but QSC poweramps can't be switched.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    All models of Genz Benz are EXTERNALLY switchable 115/230-240V and 50/60Hz which covers all countries except Japan (100V internally configurable by a technician) and parts of Australia where it's (somewhat) common to see high line voltages of up to 275 volts. :eek: A special 240 volt Australia transformer is available if the reigon requires it.

The NeoPak is externally switchable 115/230/240/Australia. For Japan, a spereate power supply configuration is available.

Hope this helps.

6. EA iAmp

7. I think ampeg tube amps at least are, the SS and hybrid ones probably are too, but im not sure,

Not externally switchable, would need a tech to change the points on the transformer i think

8. Really? I've never heard this. Can you be more specific?

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Out in the more rural areas, where feeder regulation is not so good, it's not uncommon for there to be voltage swings of up to +/-15% around nominal 240V, which is 276 volts and is our high-line design criteria for Australia. Over the majority of the country this does not appear to be the case, but this has been confirmed by our distributor as a problem affecting reliability of electronic equipment in general. Normally we use a high-line condition of 265 volts but we found this to be inadequate to insure troublefree service life in AU.

In theory, Australia is in the active process of transitioning to 230V AC mains, but this has not yet occured in many parts. When it does, this will eliminate the need for the 275 volt high line accomodation as +/-15% of 230 volts would be 264.5 which falls within our design threshold of 265 volts.

Please let us know what conditions you encounter in AU, do you find low voltage conditions to be a bigger problem? Noisy or intermittent power? Fluctuating voltage? (excessively warm beer;) or is that just a general band problem world-wide?)

10. Hi: When I posted I anticipated that you'd be referring to small country towns far removed from the major supply grids, where the voltage could be a bit dodgy.

However, I live in a major metropolitan area (Brisbane), and to be honest, I've never heard of anyone in similar places having voltage/noise etc problems, at least on an aggregate basis (ie discounting suspect wiring in individual buildings).

In fact, I'm continually surprised at the number of US players with power conditioners in their rack systems, in a supposedly first -world country!:confused:

Not only that, I've never even seen one of your products, and was surprised to find that they're even (commonly?) available here, leaving aside a few private imports.

And we make SURE the beer is cold, above all else!:)

Cheers.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, the problem is not in the major metro areas, but out in the "sticks". How is the transition to 230V going? Is it for real yet, or still just talk?

As far as power conditioners, any (quality) product that needs one has the protection built in. Frankly, the majority of products sold as power conditioners are for the most part useless... but it's an easy add-on sale and they look cool too.

Cold beer... the Australians definately have their priorities straight!

Cheers mate

12. Walter Woods- little switch at the back....:)

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Several series of Trace Elliot amps have switchable power.