1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Voltmeter Reading - Bias Test

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Nov 27, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I decided to check the bias on my Mesa Bass 400 since I recently switched 6L6 tubes out for KT-88's and have run into some problems with a tube overheating. However, I am not too knowledgeable on this stuff and maybe you guys can assist.

The bias tester instructions said to set the voltmeter between 300-600 DC Volts. I set my meter (and old school non-digital one) to 500, which was the closest choice.

Tested the bias using the bias tester (after warming up the tubes on standby for a few minutes, then switching to power), recorded reading.

My trouble is, I am not sure which set of numbers to read on the voltmeter. The range for the DC volts are from 0-50 and from 0-250. I am not sure how these relate to the "500" setting I have it on. On a scale of 0-250, my reading would have been about 220. Is that correct?

For the sake of experimentation, I took out two tubes and tested again. The reading came out the same, surprisingly.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    bump :help:

3. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Read the 0-50 scale as 0-500 as in...
    10=100, 20=200 etc.