1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volto 2 with Xotic Voltage Doubler with Cali76 CB

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fenflex, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    Hi everybody,

My goal is to keep using a battery powered pedalboard (Volto 2 at this moment) but I wanted to use my Cali76 CB in 18V to get more heardroom. So I started to look for a solution and so I found the Xotic Voltage Doubler.

This is the infos I gathered :
    - Cali76 : PSU Spec. Min: 78mA @ 9V / 103mA @ 18V
    - Xotic Voltage Doubler XVD1 : 15V or 18V modes, Max current draw 80mA

So according to the specs, I understand that it would not work because the current draw of the compressor running at 18V would be too important for the Xotic.

Even when using the Xotiv in 15V, it would likely exceed the max current of the Xotic. Am I'm right on this ?

Is there any solution to this ?

Thanks

2. geolikezik

geolikezik

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    I have no experience with the Xotic Voltage Doubler XVD1 but I have been successfully using the 1 SPOT Voltage Doubler (TVD) with the Cali76 CB.

Fenflex likes this.
  3. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    Wow great I had not found this one, your feedback is really appreciated, thanks !

And now that you are using the Cali76 CB in 18V, may I ask if think it was worth it ?

4. geolikezik

geolikezik

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    IMO, unless you're experiencing distortion caused by high output bass, the difference in the increased headroom is not perceptible at gig volume. Hopefully other TB will chime in to share their opinions.

5. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    Also, are you using the doubler on a single power cable from your PSU ?

Like, I want to use it on a branch of a daisy chain, will it work or do I have to allocate one 9V output of my Volto 2 to the voltage doubler ?

6. geolikezik

geolikezik

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    It works fine on a branch of daisy chain.

Fenflex likes this.
  7. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    Well thanks for your help

I ordered a One Spot on eBay for cheap and I will try it soon.

geolikezik likes this.
  8. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    It works fine indeed !

Looking forward to test it with my full rig (currently I use headphones on an OCSD)

GAS is satisfied !

geolikezik likes this.