Volume and string type

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Jun 6, 2003.

1. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I was playing around with some different basses at my favorite store today (I'm sure none of you ever do that;) ) and I noticed I couldn't get much volume from a fretless Jazz bass with nylon strings. I had to crank the amp 3 or 4 notches to match the output from other basses. Do you think this was due to the nylon strings, or was it something with the electronics on that particular Jazz bass? I was kinda' thinkin' of putting nylon flats or rounds on a soon to be purchased fretless. :smug: I really like the tone and playability of the nylon strings.

2. I'm pretty sure it was the strings..
    Its very logic.. I've noticed difference of volume even from one brand to another of the same type of strings..

for example.. I strung my guitar with a set of new daddarios but my btother had used the high E on another guit. so I put a new La Bella I had just bought .. They were all nickels, but the dadarios ring twice as loud as the la bella.
    So, it's gotta be the strings.
  3. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    thats why I dont like GC, I think cz Ive played on 200 watts and there it sounds like 100. Do they use nylons at GC. Samash is better for trying out amps. I really which both places could have a soundproof room or rooms to tet out the amp at higher volumes.