1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume and Sustain knobs reversed on my little big muff...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jinithith2, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jinithith2

jinithith2

Jul 15, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Normally a little big muff knob reads from left to right sustain, tone, volume but mine reads like a big muff... volume tone sustain.
    does anybody else have this and should I be worried about it?

The knobs are functioning as they are labeled (i.e. the sustain knob doesnt control volume) but when I have my bongo (18V preamp) at full volume and turn the volume on the pedal to 3 o clock it starts breaking the sound up.

2. its a distortion? and i'm sure they're normally labelled volume sustain tone from left to right

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    :scowl:

idk what is up with yours but mine is sustain tone volume...

4. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I think a early version of the pedal MIGHT have been organized in that way... I think I'll check wiki... but with the bongo, try turning the active preamp all the way down (the bass and treble knobs or any other you have, yhou should be able to leave the volume up) this does wonders for my active ibanez going through my lbm. but I re-read your problem... try what I said anyways, but I think the volume thing is just a property of the pedal... usually the volume on mine doesn't need to go that high

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    mine is volume tone sustain.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    When I had an LBM, it went: Sustain - Tone - Volume

It was one of the first batch made. It could have changed since then.

But the problem you described has nothing to do with the "version" - all Big Muffs tend to react oddly to active basses. It's one of many fuzz pedals that have trouble with active basses, but it's more manageable than others. Try rolling back the volume on your Bongo a bit, and don't go crazy with the Sustain knob. Don't leave the Tone knob too low, either; the lower it is, the less you can increase the Sustain before it goes nuts.

For more info on the problem, look up threads discussing fuzz pedals and impedance. You'll learn a lot. ;)

7. i thought he meant russian haha

8. russian, I believe, is volume, sustain, tone...the Sovtek is... :smug: