Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume and tone for each pickup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oysterman, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I know as much about bass electronics as I do about building H-bombs, why my question might seem stupid to those who are familiar with the subject.

Is it possible, in a passive bass, to have separate volume AND tone controls for each pickup? Say, in a Jazz bass you'd have 2 volume and 2 tone controls, without any battery-powered EQ involved. If so, wouldn't this be a cool idea? And if it is a cool idea, why am I yet to actually see a bass with that setup?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think your idea is very cool, Oyster (if you put any value in the opinion of a tech-moron like me).

But, I think the limitations are imposed by the companies who manufacture our pots. Even with Blend controls, the pots I know of seem to dictate more of an "either/or" mentality. Subtleties don't seem to be their forte'.

From my very limited knowledge, I would think the volume controls wouldn't take an Einstein, but the tone controls could be problematic because "taste" enters into the equation so heavily.

Nonetheless, I really like your thinking!

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I recently modded my old Carvin fretless in exactly that way. I put a volume and tone for each pickup (DiMarzio Model One in neck and a stacked Carvin jazz at bridge). It didn't work nearly as well as I thought it would. Each tone control works fine with just one pickup on, but when they are both on, they seem to interact; in other words, if I try to turn the treble down on the neck p.u. and leave the bridge up, it doesn't sound like you might think. It is muddy. I wouldn't do it again, but I will leave it for now.
    As for how to do it, I just followed an online diagram for a Les Paul without the switch.

4. There is theoretically a volume for each pickup. They use a Dual Gang pot, eg 100kohm dual ganged pot is two pots of 100kohm joined together, rather than having 3 pins it has six.

If you go to my thread in this forum "Damn volume!" my bass has a dual gang pot on it. So yeah rather than two separate pots it is easier to combine them, saves space and money.

:D:D

Merls

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    That's exactly what I had planned to do when I stuck a pair of
    DiMarzio Ultra-Jazz' in my yamaha bbn4f, using these here...

[​IMG]

Each pot is independent of the other; one can function as a
    volume, the other as a tone control. Little buggers ain't cheap
    though (~$22USD/pop at Stew-Mac).

My bbn4f has 3 topside holes for controls (like a J) and a side-
    mounted output jack. I was gonna' put a 3-way, Les Paul type
    pup selector in the third hole :rolleyes:. Anyhoo...those plans fell through
    when I realized I needed pots with 3/4" bushings. Those dual pots
    have 3/8" bushings.

I'm still gonna' give it a go whenever I get a Yammer RBX270F :).
    Hopefully, I won't need the "long shaft" pots. My first thought
    is to wire it like a mono Ric with 2 pups...

[​IMG]

Even on a bass with 2 holes available for control pots, it could be
    wired as if the 3-way switch was in the middle or "both" position.

6. um, isn't the original 1960 Fender Jazz "stack-knob" design exactly that? ie. volume and tone for each pickup (using stacked pots)?

Rickenbackers and some Gibsons also have 2volumes + 2tones.

7. My Rick 4003 certainly has this configuration! It's pretty darn impressive for a passive system, as far as I'm concerned...

--jeff

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    gahhhh! :eek: That's it! I'm officially senile :p

I was checkin' this out just the other day at Mr. Gearhead...

[​IMG]

9. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    :confused: I've seen lots of guitars and basses like this, i thought it was pretty common?