Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume Balance Across Strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wulf, Jan 19, 2005.

1. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Following on from my earlier posting about playing around with a Fostex MR-8, there was one very useful tangent my recording experments threw up.

A few times when I've played my Sei six string recently I've noticed that when I move up onto the higher strings the sound seems to have less 'oomph'. It wasn't enough to be a big issue and nobody else commented on it but it was a minor niggle.

One of the features on the Fostex unit is a visual input gauge, that shows the level of the signal being received. When I used this to measure the outputs from the different strings, I noted that there was a significant drop-off as I got higher (I'm not sure how the scale was calibrated, so I can't put a number to it).

A few minutes with an allen key, raising the treble side of the pickups and lowering the bass side and I've achieved a much flatter response. I thought I'd post that as a quick tip - keep your eyes open (for visual indicators of your sound) and you might just do your ears a favour!

Wulf