Volume Balance Across Strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wulf, Jan 19, 2005.

1. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Following on from my earlier posting about playing around with a Fostex MR-8, there was one very useful tangent my recording experments threw up.

A few times when I've played my Sei six string recently I've noticed that when I move up onto the higher strings the sound seems to have less 'oomph'. It wasn't enough to be a big issue and nobody else commented on it but it was a minor niggle.

One of the features on the Fostex unit is a visual input gauge, that shows the level of the signal being received. When I used this to measure the outputs from the different strings, I noted that there was a significant drop-off as I got higher (I'm not sure how the scale was calibrated, so I can't put a number to it).

A few minutes with an allen key, raising the treble side of the pickups and lowering the bass side and I've achieved a much flatter response. I thought I'd post that as a quick tip - keep your eyes open (for visual indicators of your sound) and you might just do your ears a favour!