Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

volume balance between strings on 6

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FaultLine423, May 27, 2001.

1. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    I've been having problems with the balance of volume between strings on my bass. I have a Toby Pro 6, and the lowest strings get a lot of low end and are easily heard. However, when I go to play on the C, I have to pluck harder to get the same volume, and in turn, the tone suffers. If I adjust the height of the pickups, would this be corrected, or is there something else I have to do? Thanks in advance.

2. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    On all my basses I set the treble side of the pickups higher to achieve a good balance. That's the way to go.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that 6-strings are notorious for having "balance" problems and for the whole thing sounding muddy - especially with cheaper models, where cost-cutting is evident in the pickups and electronics.

The answer is, as the last poster says, to raise the pickups under the high strings and lower them under the bassier strings, using the little screws; but sometimes the pickups don't work like this and it can be harder to get this right than it sounds.

I have tried many and owned a few 6 strings and the cheaper ones all suffered from this problem and I couldn't resolve it - well except by buying another bass!! ;)

The best 6 strings I tried - like Ken Smith and Yamaha TRB6P had very well-made pickups and electronics to compensate for this; but it was still a problem to a certain extent.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, the easy but expensive fix is put in better pick ups. When I bought my seven I got the Conklin GT because it came with barts. I was worried about volume differences, but the barts work great.