Volume/belnd pot problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Ok I give up searching...

I have 2 Lane Poor pickups in my old Yamaha TRB and with the stock preamp they don't sound overly good, which is why I am currently in the process of replacing the preamp. I have decided to go with something simple, that is, I decided on the Aguilar OBP-1. 2 bands, boost only, sweet simplicity. The only problem I am having is how to determine the values of the volume and blend pots. I know the impedances of both pickups, so where do I go from here?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Assuming they're passive pickups, either 250K or 500K. The rule of thumb is often said as 250K for single ocil, 500K for humbuckers but it's more a matter of taste then anything. 500K pots will retain more of the natural high end, 250K will give you a warmer sound. Again, no wrong answer here, just whatever you're looking for.
  3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I am guessing you meant 250 or 500k to have 2 volume pots... what about blend? I will be using a dual gang pot with a centre detent for the blend, and a volume. Any suggestions on what to do there? I think I might experiment a bit. Thanks anyway.
  4. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    1-local ibanez dealer can get 500K
    2-aguilaramp.com has 250K blend controls,good-luck.