Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume boost pedal help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderaholic, May 25, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    hey guys im new to the board. im looking for a pedal with one or two nobs that just boosts the volume making it louder. does any one no if i can make one with with parts from raidio shck if you do can you plz post the parts list. i have not tryed the seymour duncan pickup booster im not sure if that would work on bass or not.

thanks eric

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Seymour Duncan should do exactly what I think you want.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Also an EHX Linear Power Booster, or you can make one from any of the following schematics:

[​IMG]

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Try the Fulltone Fat Boost.
    It has a volume knob and a "passive" tone control (it sounds like a passive tone control to me) and can boost up to 30db of CLEAN boost.
    I love mine and use it to boost just a hair, but mostly I just leave it so it neither boosts or cuts, just adds the fatness and passive tone control.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Fulltone Fat Boost is just based on Jack Orman's Mini-Booster which is an easy build. Highly recommended.

Or my old small modification: Mr Smooth. Mr Smooth is just the mini-booster with an added front end stage so that you can drive the mini-booster into distortion if you want. It also has a low-pass filter, but you might want to leave that out.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like this, I think I'm going to have to throw one together. I really like it and what it can potentially do. Yep, I'm going to make one, and I'm going to have to ask for a mugshot that I can put on my pedal so I'm reminded of you every time I stomp on your face and my bass gets louder.

I mean, um, yay for Sean, cool design!

Can I see yours? I bet it's the really fancy box on your board right? ;)

7. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    i have never solderd anything in my life so i think building is not gonna happin. i thought i just nedded a input jack wired to a single potomiter wired to a output jack cased in a steel box from radio shack guess not. i think i have seen the fullltone boost i think its expensive to. how much do you think somone would charge to make me one of those boosts is there any one on the board that might or has done it before ?

8. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is one of the great ironies of my life that I love messing around with effects pedals, but I almost never use them :eek: I use a Boss Tuner (on the tuner out) and sometimes a distortion.

And, ummm, the pedal looks exactly like ..... a DOD 250 preamp/overdrive. I bought the DOD 250 and never really liked it, even after modding it to death. So, I built the Mr Smooth into it. Although I replaced the footswitch with a DPDT for true bypass.

Warning: While looking at the page to get the link, I noticed it was out of date. One of the filter cap values are wrong. I have updated the page, but make sure you get the latest. The two caps are 4.7n and 47n.

And I would try breadboarding it first. You might want to mess around with the filter frequencies or just remove it.

9. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed. $49.77 at music123.com. You cannot build it for that price.

It is really an overdrive/distortion pedal but it has a clean mode that works. It will be noiser than a Fat Boost but at that price..... Plus you get an ok bass distortion pedal for free!

10. +1

This is a great all round booster.
    You can:
    • fatten up your sound without or with volume boost
    • use it as a volume boost
    • use it as boost to overdrive your amp
    • use it as an overdrive by itself
    • use it as a passive tone switch. add some high-end or decrease to taste

I love this one. Works great for both guitar and bass. Especially with tube amps.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What about the caitlinbreed Pablo Picasso Sprout Boost?

13. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sorry, I didn't look. Still, the phat-hed is about as cheap as you are going to find. You should be able to find it in the UK.

As an aside, I was supposed to be in Reading this week. Small world.

14. CRAZY? why did you not come in the end? could have popped in for a Jam... I live as central as you can! :bassist:

15. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It was work related (we have an office in Reading) and it seemed better for me to stay here.