1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Booster for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smo, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I'm gonna be in the market for a Booster.
    I wanna stay away from a volume pedal for now.

What booster's are good for bass?

I really need one that can do a nice clean boost (or cut could be useful too) - but having the ability to get dirty as well would be really cool.
    I'm thinking along the lines of the new B'n'B.
    http://www.ravemagazine.com.au/content/view/14160/191/

Any thoughts?

2. Just to clarify, you are looking for a VOLUME boost, and not a BASS boost, correct?

There are so many boosters out there, it ain't even funny. If you are looking for maximum headroom, the Barber Launch Pad runs an internal 24v and, I believe, is the "cleanest" boost of the bunch. If you're looking for LOUD, the Catalinbread Super Chile boosts up to 35db.

Like I said, there are so many options around it isn't even funny. Most of them are very similar in nature, some are louder than others, some are cleaner than others. You should have no trouble finding a good cheap one.

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You want the MRX Micro Amp, clean and easy to use, one dial, volume.

4. ccpbass

ccpbass

Aug 23, 2008
    Hair Noddles
    If money is not an issue, I recommend the Xotix RC boost.
    I can speak for this since I have one on my board and it always on. It as has true bypass, small footprint and bass and treble controls. Oh.. and its black, very cool.

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Xotic RC boost is awesome... but I gotta say, it's not THAT much better than an LPB-1 - and ehx is about to release the Mole bass booster, retail price $40. you could do WAY worse

6. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    There's also new Fulltone Fat-Boost (version 3).

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You want a volumer booster? Try looking into the EHX LPB-1, its about $30 and works wonders!

8. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    +1 to the LPB-1. Its a boost, not a preamp.

9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    here is the thing about the LPB-1: it is a very flat boost, so if you use a cab with a horn, for instance, it may boost high end to the point that it is perceived as "noise" - this depends on your rig etc, of course.

The ehx Mole boosts low-mid with a rolloff of high end. It isn't nearly as flexible as the Xotic RC, but it costs a small fraction of the RC price... Basically the Mole should be like an LPB-1 that is geared to bass players. Yay!

10. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Boss GEB-7, doesn't do the dirt, but gives a volume boost with tone shaping.

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Yep, they are pretty much the same circuit but the Mole filters out those annoying high frequencies.