Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume By Cab Efficiency ie. Eden, GK, Mesa...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Jul 27, 2002.

1. My first thread!!! I own a mesa m-pulse 360, but need some good cabinets to compliment the tone. I also want to use all 360 watts to thier fullest potential. (Since a cabinet with 3db better efficiency is like doubling power I am looking at cabs with high db ratings only.) I like the tone of the mesa cabs, but can't find the db rating anywear, I know the Eden 410xlt is rated at 106db wich is very high for a 410, but what about a mesa 115, 410 or 210. I'm mainly wondering if anyone knows the db ratings of the mesa boogie powerhouse series? Are their any recomendations without going bigger than a 410. Also is a 210 on a 115 going to be louder than a 410, or does that all depend? Any recomendations? (I've tried some mesa cabs, and they sound great, but is eden going to give me more volume?)

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    welcome to TB, Scutt!

woah, questions all over the place. where to start?

the easy response would be to just have you go and try out these cabs. they should be readily available. also, if you like Mesa cabs, then go with them. Eden's could be louder, but i'm sure the Mesa's should be plenty loud for you.

also, cab wise, a 4x10 is gonna have much more punch than a 2x10 & 1x15 combo. the extra 10"s will give you that. but the 10/15 combo might have a nicer balanced sound.

whether or not it'll be louder is dependant on what your running. but the 4x10 will be more focused, while the 10/15 combo will be slightly more diffuse due to the separate cabs. but either one will be a great sound.

if lugging a 4x10 sounds daunting, try a pair of 2x10s. a bit more expensive, but a great sound nonetheless. again a little diffuse compared to the 4x10, but with the extra 10's, it'll punchier than the 10/15 combo.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll get flamed for this, but I'm doing it for you. Forget Mesa cabs. The choice between Eden and Mesa is a no-brainer. I'm sure the Eden is louder, but that's irrelevant. Even if the Mesa is louder, what good is a loud faht? Tone is what you need. I just went and saw Trisha Yearwood last night and, lo and behold, what was the bassist's stage rig? A WT-800 and one D-410XLT. (It wasn't Keith Horne. Dang! The only reason I went was to see him.)

As I stated in another post, flip through the last issue of BP, and see what gear the featured bassists use. I don't remember seeing any Mesa gear in there, although I'm sure one of the Mesa-heads in here will be so very kind to me by pointing out that there is one, somewhere. Bottom line, Mesa makes great guitar amps and cabs.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I had a WalkAbout, smaller unit in the M-Pulse line.
    I used it w/ A Hartke 2.5XL (2x10 w/ 5" driver)
    and it sounded great!
    The Mesa cabs- I use a Buster 2x10 and a 15" Diesel- both loaded w/ EVM's. I assure you- they don't flatulate! Clean, rich, GREAT sound- Of course I am open and appreciative of all gear, unlike....well, nevermind:D
    The new Mesa Powerhouse cabs use PAS drivers, I believe. I have played through them, NICE!
    Finally, you might want to consider the Demeter 3x10.
    Aguilar, Epifani, Ampeg, EBS, G-K, Eden, SWR,
    Accu-Groove, Ashdown-
    It's good to play Bass!!!:cool:

5. I have heard that Mesa doesn't post their specs because each individual cab is hand tuned to it's best potential. If this is true, it means both good news and bad news. The good news is that no matter which Mesa cab you buy it's the best it can be. The bad news is that their cabs may not be consistant from cab to cab which means you'd have to try out a whole lot of them.

On the other hand, an Eden is an Eden is an Eden. Once you've played one 410XLT you know what all 410XLTs sound like so you don't have to try out every one ever made. A 106db SPL rating is pretty damned good in my book and it's going to be hard to find anything significantly higher. I use Eden speakers myself and am very pleased with them.

6. Thanks for the replies. I think maybe I'm going to buy the mesa 115 because it sounds great. I'll have to add a 210 on top for more volume, but the tone out of this thing is amazing already, I hope the 210 doesn't wreck the already awesome tone. Munjibunga, Maybe I'll put some eden on top , but not because everybody else uses it, only because their cabs are good ( I wouldn't waste money on an Eden head!!!). Mudbass thanks for the info on mesa cabs, I couldn't find anything anywear on the net not even their home site.

What 210 is going to least color my tone?

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I'm no Mesa head but... Paul McCartney uses a Mesa 400+ into a Mesa 215.That's what he had up on stage with him at the 9/11 concert as well as his tour. But yeah, everyone that matters only uses Eden :rolleyes:

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, buy Mesa if you must, but it's a double doo-doo if you buy a 115 of any brand. They lack tone. Just mush, that's all you get from a 115 by itself, even Eden.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

according to my records...the only single cabinet louder than that is the swr goliath senior. it's not too much heavier and has wheels and such to move around.

i like it way more than anything else out there - that's why i bought it :)

10. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Tool uses Mesa stuff, and they really suck, yeah in fact I think that nobody has ever even heard of them actually. Justin chancellor sucks and he has a crappy bass too.

Who uses the stuff is doesn't mean squat. Go listen to the cabs next to each other. I've A/B'd Eden and Mesa several times, and Eden doesn't give me the tone I want. Mesa does. By the way, the bass in tool's songs farts??? I've never heard that. Eden is warmer(and yes, I must admit, punchier) but Mesa stuff has a clearer tone for what I play. It is sharper, not as tubey. Works good for me and some others(btw, McCartney sucks too:))

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree with Munji.

I love the Mesa M-Pulse and Walkabout heads; they might even be as good as Eden, but the cabs issue is a no brainer! Eden all the way!

It seems like youre into the whole 15" sub sound, so I would recommend an Eden D-410XST. I havent played one, but Its been described to me as a being like the 410XLT minus the mid frequency hump, plus extra lows, kinda like a 15. The Mesa cabs are mud. I love the sound of 15"s, but not the Mesa, and even the Eden's arent great, but Edens 10"s pack some serious low end punch. Check em out.

Peace
    Nick

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm just curious,, what makes Eden far and above the best amp company?? Sure,, they make great stuff,, so do most other high end companies (Mesa included!). Of course,, a lot of people like the sound of Edens, but sound is totally subjective. I don't like SWR gear (too sterile for me),, I don't like Ampeg SVT gear (too fuzzy for me),, BUT it's still great gear,, and lotsa people get "their" tone out of it,, and its a match made in heaven!

If you A/B say Peavey and Epifani,, and you like the tone of the Peavey better,, BUY IT!

13. If tone is what you need forget Eden. I have owned three mesa cabs, two of which were the road-ready models and three Eden cabs including D212XLT's, D410XLT's and a D210XLT. Having done _extensive_ side by side comparison a few factors became readily apparent. Eden quality is incomparable to Mesa. Each and everytime the Edens came across as mushy and un-focussed when planted next to a Mesa. They are of cheap build and slushy tone. If you want to go with a trendy cab then so be it. The most popular cab does not mean it's the best. If you crave clarity, reliability and punch go Mesa. If you want a generic cheaply built cab with a thick and muddled tone go Eden.

14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just curious Mad Woofer;; being that you liked Mesa's better then Edens for their clarity,, why did you switch to Ernie Ball cabs?? How are those?

15. I just got plain tired of huffing the Mesa's around all the time. Being of the build-quality that they are they are also stupid heavy. I started using the Edens because thye were the only 12" cab available to me at the time. The EB-MM HD212's have far more headroom, punch, growl but most importantly clarity than any of my Eden cabs, hence the switch. Even they seem to be sturdier than my old Edens. I love that rootsy, 12" sound and that 6" driver just plain rocks, allowing the 12's to go much deeper. This is one of the best cabs I have ever played through.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeh ... that's why we see all those pros using Eden on stage ... they're going for that mushy tone. ROFL.

By the way, Paul McCartney is famous for his knack of writing catchy popular tunes that the general public can relate to, not good bass tone. So he's fine with Mesa.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

by your logic then - Ampeg is the worlds greatest bass amp, followed by SWR.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    One mans mush is another mans warmth
    One mans clarity is another mans sterility
    One mans boominess is another mans low end punch
    One mans rouge is another mans alembic

Ok that last one was an exageration, but you get what im saying.

Peace
    Nick

19. My EV-loaded 15" Mesa road ready cab had far more punch and "growl" than my brand new Eden D210XLT in a side by side comparison. I liked both cabs enough to buy each of them for different reasons. The facts were clear when comparing cabs. Edens' are mushy, Mesa's are clear and focussed. I wanted to like my Edens, I really did? They are a heck of allot more portable but in the end I have to choose the better performer. How many of you have owned and gigged out both brands?

20. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    It would be pretty sad if, when we went to check-out & buy gear, we were told-"OK, here is the head
    cab, & bass that is available"-Kinda like an old-school Communist nation or something!
    Meaning, the various mfrs.make equipment that produces a distinctive sound that is engineered in, and is further "personalized" by an individual's playing style and approach- No attempt at profoundity here; just trying to say that I can appreciate "shouting it out" when we have gear that we dig and that works for us, but I can't understand the views that other gear that does not float our personal boat sucks! NOT!
    What other players use on stage or on paper (endorsements) has no bearing on what we like-
    Hartke/Acoustic won't make you Jaco, Mesa's
    sound, whether it works for you or not, has nothing to do with McCartney.They're both players that chose gear that worked for them.
    Eden sounds like Eden-Great. SWR/Ampeg/Mesa, etc.etc.- Same thing.
    Personally I'm glad that there's such a wide-range of choices, and I wish I had one of everything. But aside from having GAS & making changes now & then, I try to dial in my sound with my choice of gear & play the bass well, which is what matters-not what the "other guy" uses.
    Next simple discussion-
    Is there life after death?

:D