1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume comparison: Bag End S15D-x vs. EA Wizzy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gyoon, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Any experience out there? I figure that the Bag End would win, but the battle will be close. I'm car-less, so the 20 lb difference on the streetcars/subways of Toronto would be a definite plus. I normally play shows around town in clubs with PA Support. Stage volume is my main concern. I have found that the Bag End does nicely in these situations, with just enough juice to make it work. Just wondering if the Wizzy would be able to keep up.

I am thinking of switching up the Bag End for an EA Wizzy. Amp wise I'm using an Eden WT-330 wih a passive PJ Warmoth.

Glenn

2. TBer Veganbass has a couple of Wizzy's and just purchased the Bag End S15d (although I assume it hasn't arrive yet). So, by next week, I would PM him if he doesn't show up and he can give you the scoop.

Also, as a reminder, the Wizzy does not have a tweeter, so you would totally lose that very nice treble response of the 'x' version that you have. You might try an Epi112UL if you can.... more low end than the SD15, pretty similar volume wise, and with a very, very nice tweeter that is adjustable.

3. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I've been using a bagend S15D with an Eden Wt550 for the last year and on loud gigs I add a EA CXL112L. Most of the time I've used only the S15D on most gigs. Last month I picked up a wizzy and a Genz Benz Neopak for practices which is loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer. Between the S15D and the Wizzy it's a hard call because they sound different and the Wizzy at 4ohms gives it more power. I've thrown all kinds of wattage at the S15D and it's been able to handle without farting but the tone is more midrange and that's why I think it sounds louder. But I've been impressed by the Wizzy so far and it's hard to beat 29lbs (wizzy) vs. 45lbs (S15D).

4. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have all three - S15-D, S15X-D (not S15D-X :) ) and M-line.

The M-line speaks with a LOT of low bass. It's almost thuddy- the effect you get with bass drum. You're getting more of those ultra-low frequencies. It's nice, but I don't know that I like that better than the very pleasant voicing of the S15X-D.

Both the Bag cabs are pretty remarkable, and have a very nice, rich, musical voicing for bass.

Volume? The EA and Bag sensitivity ratings are the same, 103 dB. They are both very loud cabinets. As Ken said, the S15X-D has a compression horn, so you are getting a very nice top end that you wouldn't be getting with the M-line. The M-line doesn't lack for usable highs, but it rolls off on the high end smoothly. It doesn't do those really glassy, pinging highs.

Yes, the Wizzy is a lighter cab than the Bag. It isn't as overbuilt and solid. I wouldn't want to drop the Wizzy down a flight of stairs, for instance- an experience that the Bag would absolutely sneeze at. The Bags are road warrior cabinets. The EAs need loving care.

If you were gentle with the M-line, and get a good thick cover for it (currently not offered by EA), you wouldn't have anything to worry about. And yes, the M-line is lighter and would be more portable.

They are both unique cabinets. I can't say that I prefer one to the other just yet. I am planning on keeping both for at least a good chunk of 2007 and using them both for different gigs, to see what more gig experience will tell me.